barrel length for sbr

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Re: barrel length for sbr

Post by Netpackrat »

Max713 wrote:Paperwork first. Paperwork always first.

Any rifle barrel shorter than 16" is classified as a class 3 weapon.

Yes you will need your trust and location engraved on the serial numbered portion of the rifle.
Technically speaking, the name of the maker, city and state can go on the barrel. But it's probably better to have them on the receiver. The serial number is the only thing that needs to be on the receiver.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102
geraldw321

Post by geraldw321 »

Well useless thread noone stuck too my post about choosing a barrel length for my build. total waste of time
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I think you should go with a 5" barrel. Then you can tell every one it's 10".

Seems like you are probably used that kind of story.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

geraldw321 wrote:Well useless thread noone stuck too my post about choosing a barrel length for my build. total waste of time
All of your questions other than what length barrel YOU want were answered, but I imagine you will not receive much more help with posts like that.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

geraldw321 wrote:hi everyone

ok so my 16" barrel is a bit awkward when i put the suppressor on it its heavy and hard too maneuver so i guess ill go with a sbr. So what length and at what length do i need too do the NFA paperwork?? And do i build sbr first then do paperwork ro vice/versa?

I do have a trust which i use for my supressors.

I read somewhere you need your trust and location engraved on a lower reciever is this correct???

please tell me what it is i need too do
Regarding choosing a SBR bbl length: What do you intend to use it for? If for shooting pleasure (not for hunting), most any length would do. If for hunting, the longer the bbl, the higher the velocity for hunting. If for hunting, I'd recommend 10" to 10.5". Short enough to be handier and long enough to get some decent velocity for hunting. Roughly speaking, using bullets like the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips that need 1800fps for expansion, an 8" bbl will give a 100yd hunting distance velocity. A 10" bbl will give a 150yd hunting distance velocity. A 16" bbl will give a 200yd hunting distance velocity. The distance will varying depending upon the bullet you choose and its expansion velocity, but this'll give you an idea.

As for calculating length for your Form 1, simply measure your 16" bbl upper AR (minus the length of the flash hider/suppressor mount if there is one) and subtract the difference in length of the 16" bbl vs SBR bbl. Say your 16" bbl AR is 34 inches long with the stock fully extended and your SBR upper will have a 10" bbl...the difference in bbl length is 6" shorter. 34" minus 6" = a resulting oal of your SBR as 28". Put 28" on the Form 1 that you are submitting.

Trust name and location can be engraved on the receiver or bbl. Serial number is on the receiver. If the caliber is not already on the bbl, it needs to be engraved on the bbl or receiver. Get approved Form 1 before building or having all the parts for the SBR in your possession. Some people, while waiting for approval, come across the bbl they want in stock...they simply store the bbl at a relative or friend's home until the Form 1 is approved. That way as soon as the Form 1 is approved, they zip over to where the bbl is stored, get it and build without having to wait longer. As others have said, having an AR pistol means you can already have the SBR makings in your possession as the pistol means you have a legitimate use for the SBR upper parts.

Once approved, many many people have multiple short bbl AR uppers, as there is no law prohibiting possession of multiple SBR uppers as long as you have a legitimate SBR lower to use them on. I have 8", 9.5", and 10.3" Blackout uppers. Swap them at will, as their use doesn't mean you've PERMANENTLY altered the oal of your SBR. SBR ARs are GREAT!!!

Other questions: Ask away!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

ok so my 16" barrel is a bit awkward when i put the suppressor on it its heavy and hard too maneuver so i guess ill go with a sbr. So what length and at what length do i need too do the NFA paperwork?? And do i build sbr first then do paperwork ro vice/versa?
The paoerwork is done, overall length stated in form 1, as long as you can turn it into that, you are OK.
You know the system, good deal.
File your form 1
geraldw321 wrote:Well useless thread noone stuck too my post about choosing a barrel length for my build. total waste of time
This will not help you at all.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
geraldw321

Post by geraldw321 »

Whole Bunches wrote:

I read somewhere you need your trust and location engraved on a lower reciever is this correct???

please tell me what it is i need too do
Regarding choosing a SBR bbl length: What do you intend to use it for? If for shooting pleasure (not for hunting), most any length would do. If for hunting, the longer the bbl, the higher the velocity for hunting. If for hunting, I'd recommend 10" to 10.5". Short enough to be handier and long enough to get some decent velocity for hunting. Roughly speaking, using bullets like the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips that need 1800fps for expansion, an 8" bbl will give a 100yd hunting distance velocity. A 10" bbl will give a 150yd hunting distance velocity. A 16" bbl will give a 200yd hunting distance velocity. The distance will varying depending upon the bullet you choose and its expansion velocity, but this'll give you an idea.

As for calculating length for your Form 1, simply measure your 16" bbl upper AR (minus the length of the flash hider/suppressor mount if there is one) and subtract the difference in length of the 16" bbl vs SBR bbl. Say your 16" bbl AR is 34 inches long with the stock fully extended and your SBR upper will have a 10" bbl...the difference in bbl length is 6" shorter. 34" minus 6" = a resulting oal of your SBR as 28". Put 28" on the Form 1 that you are submitting.

Trust name and location can be engraved on the receiver or bbl. Serial number is on the receiver. If the caliber is not already on the bbl, it needs to be engraved on the bbl or receiver. Get approved Form 1 before building or having all the parts for the SBR in your possession. Some people, while waiting for approval, come across the bbl they want in stock...they simply store the bbl at a relative or friend's home until the Form 1 is approved. That way as soon as the Form 1 is approved, they zip over to where the bbl is stored, get it and build without having to wait longer. As others have said, having an AR pistol means you can already have the SBR makings in your possession as the pistol means you have a legitimate use for the SBR upper parts.

Once approved, many many people have multiple short bbl AR uppers, as there is no law prohibiting possession of multiple SBR uppers as long as you have a legitimate SBR lower to use them on. I have 8", 9.5", and 10.3" Blackout uppers. Swap them at will, as their use doesn't mean you've PERMANENTLY altered the oal of your SBR. SBR ARs are GREAT!!!

Other questions: Ask away!

THANK YOU this is the kind of info i was looking for i really appreciate your help

this is going too be a PDW / target shooting weapon. With be back injuries i can no longer hunt i can barely stay on my feet for 5 hours.

so now i think 9-10 inch bbl and i will be running a YHM 30 cal phantom can will be a good choice for what i need.

again i thank you for your input
geraldw321

Post by geraldw321 »

rebel wrote:

The paoerwork is done, overall length stated in form 1, as long as you can turn it into that, you are OK.
You know the system, good deal.
File your form 1
This will not help you at all.
i disagree see above 2 posts this post gave me some much needed info
Slinger51

Post by Slinger51 »

This is just my opinion, not advice of any kind. If one goes AR Pistol, there is no paperwork, stamps, or government intrusion of any kind needed. You can have any length barrel or upper configuration you want. Your lower just cannot have a stock, and must not have been a rifle build, or registered as such. On the lower, you can have a plain tube, tube with padding, one of the pistol braces marketed, or a Thordsen Custom cheek weld. I have a Noveske 8.2 barrel, with a plain tube, soon to be a Thordsen.
I just could not see the added time, paperwork, or expense, just to have a butt stock. As said, this is just my opinion and the direction I went. Best of luck on your decision.
geraldw321

Post by geraldw321 »

Slinger51 wrote:This is just my opinion, not advice of any kind. If one goes AR Pistol, there is no paperwork, stamps, or government intrusion of any kind needed. You can have any length barrel or upper configuration you want. Your lower just cannot have a stock, and must not have been a rifle build, or registered as such. On the lower, you can have a plain tube, tube with padding, one of the pistol braces marketed, or a Thordsen Custom cheek weld. I have a Noveske 8.2 barrel, with a plain tube, soon to be a Thordsen.
I just could not see the added time, paperwork, or expense, just to have a butt stock. As said, this is just my opinion and the direction I went. Best of luck on your decision.

Hello there thank you for your input i appreciate it, I have fired both SBR and pistol builds. the pistol just didnt work for me i much prefer the shoulder mount, sight line, more stable grip of the SBR style and i have no issues following the letter of the law by doing the proper paperwork and getting my stamp.