Anyone Using Barnes 150gr MPG?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Anyone Using Barnes 150gr MPG?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi everyone.
-Has/does anyone used the Barges 150gr MGP bullet for anything?
-How about varmint/coyote hunting?
-Also, anyone shooting it subsonic by any chance?

I am trying to see what people's experiences are with the bullet. I like the idea of using it as a coyote round to minimize fur/pelt damage, but also like the idea of it being a potential subsonic round with the help of A1680. I run a bolt gun in 300 BLK as well as an AR so I can load the bullet subsonic no matter what.

Figured I would put the questions out there to get as much info as I can before curiosity forces me to get 100 and play around with them. If they could go subsonic and work well that would be awesome! If they cannot go subsonic I always have the option to use the Lehigh Defense 110 gr Controlled Chaos (not Controlled Fracture which appear to Swiss cheese anything they hit) and just varmint hunt at supersonic speeds.

Man, you gotta love all of the possibilities for this round! Though some may be expensive, I like a number of the options out there. Varmint grenade-like supers, a couple subsonic expanding options, a couple of supers for hunting, etc.

If I can find a varmint grenade like subsonic option then I'm in heaven. Thanks for any input you may have on the subject :)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone Using Barnes 150gr MPG?

Looks like there isn't much feedback with this particular bullet. Curiosity got the best of me so, 200 of the Barnes 150gr MPG on the way.

My goal will be to see if I can shoot it subsonic and managed to get it to cycle in a carbine gas system all while still performing/exploding. Should it not cycle I can always shoot them subsonic from my bolt gun or just load them supersonic :)

I found 1 mention of 150gr MPG load data half way down the following thread page, so I will dance around it to try and find a sweet spot for a carbine gas system:
http://300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=90

Wish me luck, as I'm hoping this will be come a subsonic coyote round!
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

If you dont get expansion using it as a sub i would appreciate a super test for expansion unless someone has already tried it and has that answer.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

If I get no expansion shooting subsonic I'll definitely load super and see how they perform. The MPG is basically a frangible with a jacket, so I'm hoping that it doesn't take much speed upon impact to force the compressed innards to come exploding outwards.

This damn video is what got me really interested in the bullet as a coyote option. It should also peak the interest of those who are really into self/home defense but want to ensure the bullet does not travel far/anywhere after initial impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTD4QTitHM0
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Ok I loaded 5 different loads for the Barnes 150 MPG with the goal of subsonic speed, AR cycling, and curiosity of expected performance.
For performance (expansion) I taped together 3 water bottles and a can of beer that had been sitting in the bed of my cousin's truck forever and shot through them with the slowest/lightest load.

Here are the results of my Barnes 150gr MPG testing using the Magneto Speed chronograph in 95 degree weather at 533 ft above sea level:

All loads loaded to COAL of 2.005 with reformed and annealed mixed brass using 1/2 turn LFC crimp.
Gun: 16" AAC Upper with Carbine Gas system and 1:7 twist, on RRA Lower (AR0901CX).
All loads cycled!

A1680 11.1
Avg 1106, Bolt Held Open, most accurate w/out trying making 1 big hole measuring just over 0.5 inches

A1680 11.0
Avg 1052, Bolt Held Open

A1680 10.8
Avg 1057, NO Bolt Held Open

A1680 10.6
Avg 1012, NO Bolt Held Open
I shot the water bottles and beer can with this load and it looks like expansion may have started once entering the beer can. The exit holes on the beer can (for 3 shots) showed large outward openings unlike the bottles. The other 2 shots could not be registered on the exit of the beer can as they either went out the already busted open exit holes or missed the can. I was unable to find any jackets on the ground or any powder signs in the bottles or can. In all my expansion results are inconclusive w/out any real proof but I think 4 water jugs and a phone book will be my next route as I did not plan to attempt an expansion test and just rigged up one with what we had on hand.

In all I'm pleased with the bullet functioning in the AR as I don't care if it holds the bolt open as long as cycling is working fine. I hope to reload the A1680 10.6gr load and see how it expands as well as try to shoot it accurately to see what groupings I get.

I hope this information is helpful to someone
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

It is helpful to me. Glad to hear you got it to atleast cycle. Make sure you post back what happens using the phone book test.
savageshooter23
Senior Silent Operator

Post by savageshooter23 »

I managed to get them up to 2375 fps from my 22 inch barrel with A1680 when seated out to touch the lands. No other 150 grain bullet has come close to this fast. I dont know if the compressed core sawges down easier than a solid core bullet when fired or what but its a real screamer thats for sure. Unfortunately the minimum expansion velocity is 2100 fps and surprisingly isnt very quick to yaw. Annealing the bullet tip and opening up the hollow point slightly dropped thst threshold down to 1900 fps. Even then expansion was very limited. The jacket would shread just fine but the core would stay intact instead of reverting back to its powdered form.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

they do shoot very well, accurate, terminal performance is lacking though. The price is right for a accurate plinking bullet. I was interested in seeing if the 108gr 762x39 MPG bullet would work for a supersonic and get terminal performance.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!