Lee 309-230 Mold final verdict?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

JayT

Lee 309-230 Mold final verdict?

Post by JayT »

Hey guys,

I’ve searched all over this board and googled the heck out of this mold, and got a lot of mixed responses. Thinking about getting into casting for the 300 BLK, specifically heavy (220 gr+) bullets for subsonic use. I’m trying to get some opinions from the experienced casters on here as to their thoughts on the Lee/Midway mold. It seems like a cost-effective alternative to some of the better-accepted, and significantly more expensive, NOE and Accurate molds. Trying to keep costs down, since I don’t know if I’ll enjoy casting or not, hence the appeal of the Lee/Midway mold. The rifle I’m interested in shooting through is a 8.5” 1:7 twist SBR with a Silencerco Hybrid can. I plan on powdercoating and not lubing. It’s just a plinking gun for fun, so high accuracy is not at the top of my list. I’d be happy with a 3” group at 25 yards.

I guess my main concern revolves around bullet stabilization. The biggest complaint I’ve seen with this mold is that it drops small and the bullet ends up keyholing through paper at short distances. Keyholing out of a regular barrel is not so much a concern, but baffle-striking the suppressor with an unstable projectile is.

So, anyone have any opinions on the matter?

Thanks in advance!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lee 309-230 Mold final verdict?

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I have shot A LOT of these over the years. I still have at least 1K left from the last batch. Uncoated they seem to have problems. Coated the problems go away, as long as you use the right powder. They will easily 3" at 25 yards, as long as you put some effort into finding a load your gun likes.

As far as being undersized I think a lot of that was early on. The first one I could buy dropped bullets on the small size. A year later I bought another and it was perfect. About 6months after that I bought another perfect mold. Quality has greatly improved at Lee over the last 3-4 years.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
JayT

Post by JayT »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I have shot A LOT of these over the years. I still have at least 1K left from the last batch. Uncoated they seem to have problems. Coated the problems go away, as long as you use the right powder. They will easily 3" at 25 yards, as long as you put some effort into finding a load your gun likes.

As far as being undersized I think a lot of that was early on. The first one I could buy dropped bullets on the small size. A year later I bought another and it was perfect. About 6months after that I bought another perfect mold. Quality has greatly improved at Lee over the last 3-4 years.

Good to know. Thank you.

So we’re clear, you’ve had no issues with the newer runs of this mold, and a shake and bake single coat should give me the results I’m looking for with no risk to baffles or endcap? Any bullet I cast and PC, I’ll be sure to paper test unsuppressed to look for signs of unstable flight before use with the can.

GTG, in your opinion?
skeet1

Post by skeet1 »

I have not shot very many of the Lee 230 gr. bullet in my AR but those that I have shot quite well. I just use LLA and shoot them unsized with good results. I have also shot them with a gas check attached to the base and run through a .311" sizer which doesn't size them but but crimps on the gas check and I lube with Carnuba Red. I can't tell the difference between the two load and have gone to just the LLA for ease of use.

Ken
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

I have spent the last few range trips playing with this bullet. Load is 11gr of 1680, seated to the crimp groove, CCI 41 primers, neck sized brass and finally the Lee FCD to take the slight flare out of the case. Lube has only been LLA. Speed over chronograph is 1140fps. Rifle is a RARR with flush mag.

OK, 50 yard groups are running right at 1 inch, but the 100 yard have only opened up to 1 3/4 inches. I can ring the steel gong at 200 and 300 yards all day as long as I am steady. I have shot about 300 of them in the last few weeks as weather permits.

I don't know if I am just lucky with this bullet, someone is smiling down at me, or what but it is working fine for me with no leading and lots of giggles.

Does anyone know what the real G1 B.C. is for this bullet? Lee says it is .688. and it seems to be close as the drop at 300 is close to what it should be if it is true.

Greg
NRA Life member
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi I’m looking for load data for the lee 230gr cast bullet with pistol powders like red dot or similar types, can’t seem to find much data as I want to shoot them about around 900 FPS I’m a In England and not many shooters not using 300 blk yet, but just waiting for my rarr that i have ordered to turn up at my local gun shop.

Just wondered if any you guys across the pond have tried home cast lead in 300 bulk and what the results were like I will only be using them at short distances 25 to 50 yards i would load jacketed heads for any real distances.
The one range I use has a muzzle energy limit 475 foot pounds so I have to keep the velocity to about 1000fps with this bullet

Any info would be great

Gjs
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

GregP42 wrote:I have spent the last few range trips playing with this bullet. Load is 11gr of 1680, seated to the crimp groove, CCI 41 primers, neck sized brass and finally the Lee FCD to take the slight flare out of the case. Lube has only been LLA. Speed over chronograph is 1140fps. Rifle is a RARR with flush mag.

OK, 50 yard groups are running right at 1 inch, but the 100 yard have only opened up to 1 3/4 inches. I can ring the steel gong at 200 and 300 yards all day as long as I am steady. I have shot about 300 of them in the last few weeks as weather permits.

I don't know if I am just lucky with this bullet, someone is smiling down at me, or what but it is working fine for me with no leading and lots of giggles.

Does anyone know what the real G1 B.C. is for this bullet? Lee says it is .688. and it seems to be close as the drop at 300 is close to what it should be if it is true.

Greg
Barrel brand , length and twist rate?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I bought this mold some time back and have been casting and shooting it some.

I do not have a suppressor so I'm not so worried about some things that others might be. But I AM powder coating. I have sized to .310 and .311. Its pretty easy with powder coating as POST PC bullets run .313 ish. Bullets drop .310+ but not round. Typical for the LEE molds. But matters little as this isn't a precision mold or bullet design anyhow.

I get FAR better accuracy from my 311413 Lyman 170G spitzer mold.

But I wanted to use this mold. I have used four different powders and not seen huge differences. I am casting hard (18/20 BHN) with my first batch and soft (12/13 BHN) Second batch. I don't see a difference @ 50 yards. Sizing dia hasn't show a difference either. BUT all loads are subsonic with the LEE. The 311413 has always been supersonic. So my next loads will be to push the Lee super, but not pushing real hard. I see the slightest yaw in some bullets, so a lil kick in velocity will change that. better or worse, well that's yet to be seen, but better is the expectation.
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

GunFunZS wrote:
Barrel brand , length and twist rate?
Ruger American Ranch Rifle. 16" Barrel, I think it is 1x8, but it is in the safe right now.

Greg
NRA Life member
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I plan to face mine off to drop flat base 168 grainers.

It just doesn't shoot well with anything I have tried. keyholing.