4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by BlackLight »

My version:

A Mozambique drill. Two to the chest, the rest to the head until they drop
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

start at the belt buckle (pelvis shot - instant mobility remover and two of the largest blood passageways in the body pass through the pelvis area) and work your way up the centerline
two main reasons
a) it allows the bullets to still have someplace to impact as the body is collapsing due to a hit if the pelvic shot does connect properly
b) if one hit doesn't take them down, you've still got lots of room to work with as the muzzle of the gun naturally rises due to recoil.

this puts your shots right down the center axis of the body - right where the vital organs are to do the most damage and potentially give you a one shot stop if you happen to hit the spinal column anywhere along they way. very little body armor accounts for the pelvic/low spine shot so this gives you a 2nd "stop the threat now" area to start with as well as most plates are purely designed to stop hits to the upper chest vital area around the heart/lungs.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

plant.one wrote:my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

start at the belt buckle (pelvis shot - instant mobility remover and two of the largest blood passageways in the body pass through the pelvis area) and work your way up the centerline
two main reasons
a) it allows the bullets to still have someplace to impact as the body is collapsing due to a hit if the pelvic shot does connect properly
b) if one hit doesn't take them down, you've still got lots of room to work with as the muzzle of the gun naturally rises due to recoil.
Wise instructor, must be a student of Massad Ayoob, he teaches something very similar.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Badfinger wrote:Wise instructor, must be a student of Massad Ayoob, he teaches something very similar.

he's a student of hard knocks in the Inkster, MI Police Department. its not one of the nicer sections of the detroit metro area. they dont have time to screw around. he's had to use his service pistol on bad guys trying to do bad things - so BDTD.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

plant.one wrote:my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

two main reasons

this puts your shots right down the center axis of the body - right where the vital organs are to do the most damage and potentially give you a one shot stop if you happen to hit the spinal column anywhere along they way. very little body armor accounts for the pelvic/low spine shot so this gives you a 2nd "stop the threat now" area to start with as well as most plates are purely designed to stop hits to the upper chest vital area around the heart/lungs.

I've been teaching this as a "vertical Tracking" drill for 20 or so years. It is a good plan unless, as stated, body armor is worn. Still, as I teach it, you start at the pelvis and rapidly track up to the head. 6 to 10 shots in 2 or 3 seconds with the noggin shots to finish the event should still work well.
cdynaco
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdynaco »

BlackLight wrote:That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
President's don't write law - your Congress does. Well--unless its chairman hobama.
Charliehorse
cdynaco
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdynaco »

Interesting...
Charliehorse
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

cdynaco wrote:
BlackLight wrote:That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
President's don't write law - your Congress does. Well--unless its chairman hobama.
He signed it, didn't he?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

BlackLight wrote:
cdynaco wrote:
He signed it, didn't he?
While I hate he signed it, you might consider doing some research on what Congress would have done had he not signed it.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in