What would you guys do ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: What would you guys do ?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

It's hard to argue with firedavis' results.

I like the 110gr in your case for the distance questions and accuracy is acceptable, plus messing with your gear is always a huge risk for something unexpected to go wrong.

Also my reading/research generally identifies that an all copper bullet penetrates further than traditional jacked bullets. I like the idea of increasing exit wound and blood trail possibilities with the 300BLK. I don't get a lot of good blood trails with 300BLK but I also tend to go for high double lung shots vs low heart/vital shot where blood can more easily make it's way out.

Finally I'm one for using non-lead options if I can for wildlife conservation reasons as well as not introducing lead into my meat. I'm not anal about it but I make a conscious effort when I can.

Hell you can always try both and see which you like best. Hope all turns out well :)
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

tallburnedmidget wrote:It's hard to argue with firedavis' results.

I like the 110gr in your case for the distance questions and accuracy is acceptable, plus messing with your gear is always a huge risk for something unexpected to go wrong.

Also my reading/research generally identifies that an all copper bullet penetrates further than traditional jacked bullets. I like the idea of increasing exit wound and blood trail possibilities with the 300BLK. I don't get a lot of good blood trails with 300BLK but I also tend to go for high double lung shots vs low heart/vital shot where blood can more easily make it's way out.

Finally I'm one for using non-lead options if I can for wildlife conservation reasons as well as not introducing lead into my meat. I'm not anal about it but I make a conscious effort when I can.

Hell you can always try both and see which you like best. Hope all turns out well :)

TBM makes some good points here.....
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

Thanks guys for all the replies. Y'all did a fine job of makin me MORE indecisive. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I'll at least start with the blacktips, and see what happens from there. I will have a mag of SSTs in my pack though.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

If it makes you feel any better I'll be reloading blacktips tomorrow. Couldn't pass on a sale for $20 a box. :lol:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

98 yards
SST
No blood trail needed.
Just me but I'll take cloverleafs over 2 moa. Adjusting a scope is easy. Confidence in your system is priceless. 150 yards is no problem for an SST if your going about 2200 at the muzzle. Any more than that just improves that range. As smus said, deer are larger than 2" and the Barnes will work. I just want the most accurate round my rifle will shoot with me on a hunt.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

rebel wrote:Image
98 yards
SST
No blood trail needed.
Just me but I'll take cloverleafs over 2 moa. Adjusting a scope is easy. Confidence in your system is priceless. 150 yards is no problem for an SST if your going about 2200 at the muzzle. Any more than that just improves that range. As smus said, deer are larger than 2" and the Barnes will work. I just want the most accurate round my rifle will shoot with me on a hunt.
Interesting, I got 1963 at the muzzle, 1841 at 75 yds, and 1687 at 150 yds.

I wish I could find the min. expansion speed of that bullet.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

I just researched the min. exp. speed on the 125 SST again, and found everything from to 1600 to 1900. All of these numbers were supposedly :roll: straight from Hornady.

Just gonna use the 110s.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

1600 was the number i've always read. at 2000 fps that gives you right around... i wanna say its 145 yds before it drops below expansion velocity if memory serves me corretly.

i'll be hunting with the 125 sst this season.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I forgot your using a 9 inch with the velocity. Still should be OK. I actually took the trouble to test the bullet in wetpack at 200 yards many moons ago. It expanded with the 2200 fps muzzle velocity. I have never downloaded one to 1600 to see. I may do that as a project when I get a chance.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.