Accurate Subsonic Load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Makaio

Accurate Subsonic Load

Post by Makaio »

Ive been reading a lot about AR subs and consistent velocity. However, I never see any posted accuracy information. I like the quiet, but prefer the precision.

I shoot a remington 700 aac-sd 300blk bolt gun. Can anyone suggest a sub load thats accurate out of my configuration. Factory hornady 208's and umc 220's are 2-3" at best. Id love to get some sub 1" groups.

I have a ton of H110 to use, but understand its not optimal.

Looking for powder, primer, and bullet combos to get started.

Thanks in advance.
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Re: Accurate Subsonic Load

Post by polizei1 »

I'll be loading up some 240gr Leatherhead's in the next month or so when I have time and will be doing velocity/accuracy testing at 100yards.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Plated 150g flat points and ~5 grains of Unique is one of the most accurate 300 blackout loads I've found. (1.980" oal)

Less than 1" at 50 yds all the time, and nearly as cheap as shooting a 22.
kroeker
Silent But Deadly

Post by kroeker »

If your Remington is still wearing the hogue stock I'd suggest getting something better before really trying for accuracy. I shoot a lot of everything out of my remmy but never pay much attention to the grouping of my sub loads since they drop way under my zero.
JPC

Post by JPC »

Just got my From 1 back a week ago and finally got out and tested some rounds. Although it's not a remy 700, I had great results with 220 gr bullets from BlackoutBullets.com. These were their expanding bullets loaded with 10.9 gr of 1680 (right at 1000 fps). I was able to get .38" at 50 yards. I just ordered 1k of their non-expanding bullets in hope of the same accuracy. I hope to get out soon and test at some longer ranges.
"Few Things are more self-destructive than a combination of high entitlement and a lazy work ethic"
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ive done better. The load is capable of much more. Been a while, conditions sucked, normai alibi's. In any case......
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

My Rem 700 sits in a Boyds Tacticool with PTG AI bottom metal. Never installed the pillars because I am lazy, but its a tack driver for sure.

H110 is actually a GREAT subsonic bolt gun powder. Its the AR's that can run into trouble with it.

9.1g of H110 and a 208g AMAX produces sub MOA groups out of my Rem 700 bolt gun. Thats loaded to 2.260 with a Rem 7.5 primer. I could in theory load a little longer as I had the mag capacity and I believe it would feed em just a little longer as well.

This is 2.260 with some room to go for reliable feeding. I didnt test any longer to see if I had room in the chamber.

ETA: that pic is my gun sitting in the factory hogue stock. I was helping a buddy out with some load development and his gun is in the hogue stock so I was making sure everything ran ok as far as length goes before sending him the recipe. Totally forgot that until looking at this picture. So if you are in the factory stock you will be just fine at 2.260.

I had a real nice node between 9 and 9.2 g with 9.1 being just about the best and giving me a little powder thrower error of .1 either side.

The load to the right is I think 9.2g and the 9.0 was on the other side of the target.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Makaio

Post by Makaio »

good info and thanks for the replies.

My 700 sits in a krg xray chassis and i have a mark 4 leupold 4.5-14x50 on top of it. It will be a deer rifle with supers this fall.

just picked up 500 220smk's at a descent price (still expensive, but cheaper than retail) and hope to have an accurate load worked up with the h110 since i have 7.9lbs of it.

also looking for suggestions with 150gr (3031) hornady SP subs or super info.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

Makaio wrote:I shoot a remington 700 aac-sd 300blk bolt gun. Can anyone suggest a sub load thats accurate out of my configuration. Factory hornady 208's and umc 220's are 2-3" at best. Id love to get some sub 1" groups.
You have your work cut out for you. I can get near 1 MOA (at 100 yards) with Nosler Custom Competition / Sierra Match King in 220 grain and Hornady AMAX in 208 grain from a 9" AAC barrel.
polizei1 wrote:I'll be loading up some 240gr Leatherhead's in the next month or so when I have time and will be doing velocity/accuracy testing at 100yards.
Good luck with that, looking forward to your results, mine were not particularly good.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

rebel wrote:Ive done better. The load is capable of much more. Been a while, conditions sucked, normai alibi's. In any case......
Those lapuas suck WHATEVER YOU DO don't use those :lol: