need help on pistol choice

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

30plinker

need help on pistol choice

Post by 30plinker »

Subject kinda says it...

Not impressed with my RAR, once it returns from factory repair it is getting sold. What to replace it with? Do I bother to replace it? I got the 300 bolt gun 'cause .310 components are scarce and there is more variety in reloading data for 300bo than there is for 762x39 (and I love my Howa mini in 762x39... if one had been available in 300 I wouldn't be posting this).

Would like to be able to plink steel at 200+ yards, hunt deer/pigs here in Florida, etc. so my use case is for supers and since I'm feeding it with a single stage press manually operated is a plus, though semi auto isn't a minus.

Don't plan on getting a can, but then I never planned on getting into reloading (done) or doing a F1 SBR (planned...) so I can't discount that completely... and a buddy has several, so I have access/use at the range which is fun.

Options..

0 - a Howa mini in 300 will magically become available the moment I have money in my hand, hard stop, this is winning solution with no arguments.
1 - CVA Scout pistol
2 - Solo 300 upper or similar no-buffer manually operated pistol build (I have a 22 version already so lower is ready to go)
3 - Screw manually operated and get a "standard" 300 AR pistol upper with about a 9" barrel (maybe 8.5, maybe 10, depends on whats available and costs)
4 - Don't replace it and use the $ for a F1 SBR stamp and associated costs (fingerprints as eft file, engraving) since it turns out that my x39 bolt gun shoots .308 diameter bullets really well.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: need help on pistol choice

Post by popper »

10" AR pistol for hogs. Gets good fps and repeat shots. SBR it if you want a stock. Accurate without excessive weight.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

NOW would be the time to get that braced pistol and get it registered without the NFA $200 extortion
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulatio ... ing-braces
Black Rifles Matter
30plinker

Post by 30plinker »

excess650 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:52 am NOW would be the time to get that braced pistol and get it registered without the NFA $200 extortion
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulatio ... ing-braces
Already have a braced 9mm set up so that will be either no-braced or registered... still waffling on whether I want to do it or not...
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

plink steel at 200+ yards, hunt deer/pigs here in Florida
for that I would go with a regular carbine AR in BO (1:10 twist) or Hamr. Not much increase in weight and much easier to shoot fast. And if you want thermal, much more stable platform. With the longer rail, clip on thermal is easier.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I bought a CVA Scout pistol several years ago and for the money, I can't imagine anything better. I own quite a few firearms and only one (a 70's era Rem 700 25-06) is less picky about loads. Just about anything I feed the Scout shoots well. No idea if they're all like this, but based on a sample of one I'd say go for it.

The stupid "safety" on them is a negative, but that's easily removed and the hole filled if it annoys you like it annoyed me. :lol: