First 300 Blk Kill

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gnumadic

First 300 Blk Kill

Post by gnumadic »

I finally drew blood with my 300 Blk pistol build (8" barrel, Dead Air Nomad - L, Barnes TAC-TX 110 gr.). I tried to pull the trigger on a buck last season, however the bolt was slightly out of battery (my fault). I eventually got that same deer but with another rifle.

So this big bodied buck was following a doe last Monday morning around 7:15 AM. He stopped broadside at 40 yards and I took the shot. He mule kicked and bulldozed a path through the leaves and out of sight. I heard a crash. When I went to look for him I had a hard time finding the blood trail, but there were also lots of fallen maple leaves with red splotches on them (yay fall colors). So I just went the direction I thought the deer went and then I found him halfway down a hollow. Maybe 60 yards. Of course, once I was there it was easy to trace the blood trail back a ways.

I thought it was a heart shot, but it ended up being double lung above and slightly forward of the heart. The round went straight through and exited the right shoulder. I'm a firm believer in shot placement. I've had deer drop-right-there after being hit with .223, and others run hundreds of yards after being shot with a traditional deer caliber. I will continue to hunt with this rifle/ammo combo and see how things go.
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: First 300 Blk Kill

Post by gds »

Nice
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

nice buck! and good shooting.
peace through superior firepower
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Congrats! Nice deer!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

gnumadic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:43 pm I'm a firm believer in shot placement.
Very nice.

Ventilate them correctly and they usually don't go far. :mrgreen:
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

nice shot and nice deer.
Rohyncame

Post by Rohyncame »

Such a large prey, well done!
Huntfishguy

Post by Huntfishguy »

I am a big brother mentor to an 11 year old in Pennsylvania and yesterday we hit the woods for the PA firearms opener. Within 40 minutes of shooting light deer started moving our way. First a 7 pt, then a shooter 10, then a 4 pt. The 4 presented a shot. He took it with my CVA V2 scout rifle. Our load was 110 gr Barnes TAC-TX with 20 grains lil gun @ 2400 fps. Load groups less than an inch at 100. My little asked if he could take him and made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. The buck ran 35 yards and crashed. The lungs exploded and the exit hole was twice the size as the entrance. 65 yard shot. This was my first 300 blackout kill even though I didn’t pull the trigger. I am convinced this is a perfect cartridge for anyone hunting 100 yards or less.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

What more can anyone ask for? He deserves a "Well done!" for picking his shot and placing it correctly. That's how it's done no matter what the cartridge is. Well done on you also.

Bear with me... I acquired a barrel chambered in .32/20 and wondered what I was going to do with it. The firearms chambered in it in it's heyday fired a pretty anemic loading yet it accounted for all sorts of game and we'd consider it severely undergunned today. Yet the .300BLK is far more than the .32/20 was back then. Today it's ballistics can be brought up to sorta .300BLK (in a modern action) and I wouldn't hesitate to use either on deer. But the .32/20 was also used on bear and such over 100 years ago. I have no doubt that with proper bullet placement the .300BLK would also work fine on anything the .32/20 bagged with much less energy available. Jack O'Connor stated it in his writings over 1/2 a century ago, a proper bullet placed in a proper place is the key.

I wish I could still hunt, but I can't. I would use subsonic loads for the close range shots I always got with my supersonic loads. I destroyed lots of meat but with a subsonic load one would probably be able to "eat all the way to the hole", to quote Elmer Keith.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

gnumadic,
Nice buck and nice shot! Congrats!