Is a Wilson 8" barrel worth $230

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Is a Wilson 8" barrel worth $230

Post by Blowout »

I've been pondering on a barrel change for my 300blk pistol.

Been using a KAK $100 value line barrel for a few years and the accuracy isn't bad, but can't say it's exceptionally good at 50yds either.

About 2" @ 50yds with 110 Tac-X handloads using W296. I was using a 3x scope and would have most likely tightened them up with a 10x with my ole eyes. I also had to rush them because of Covid time limitations on the range. They limit to a 2 hr window which gives you around 50 minutes when the line is hot and I was using a chrono. This was my last string and couldn't finish before the whistle blew.

Also wasn't able to zero the scope first and these were actually shot at the 18, 18.5 and 19 targets. Maybe the 19.5 and 20.0 would have tightened the group up as well.

Any input on this Wilson barrel or another that one would anticipate better accuracy that's in that price range?
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grad ... SBRPG8RT7/

I have enough money and time devoted to this hobby that I don't want to waste either on a cheap barrel anymore.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is a Wilson 8" barrel worth $230

Post by BlogSarge »

Both of my Wilson barrels (both 16”, one in 5.56 and one in 300blk) shoot sub MOA. I’ve gotten consistent groups in the .5-.8 MOA range with the 5.56, but haven’t really shot the 300blk much lately for groups.

I’d give it a try. You can always sell it if you don’t like it. But I bet you’ll be happy with it.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

How far are you looking to shoot, and what is the intended purpose?

Whether it is worth 230 bucks is entirely up to you and your answers to the questions above. I have a 16" Wilson barrel that shoots moa or less (less if you are a better shooter than me!). But that one is designated for hunting and/or shooting greater than 100 yards.

My other 300 barrels are all the cheapest I could find. They're the ones I plink with mostly out to 25 yards. And 50 yards max. And they're still more than accurate enough for probably anything I would need to do with them. The AR Stoner I shoot mostly subs with will do less than 2 MOA for sure with a decent supersonic load. I'm surprised your groups are that big at 50 yards. I haven't found that 110 TX to be the most accurate bullet in the Stoner barrels. It is pretty accurate in the 16" Wilson, but the VMAX and Varmegeddon give me better accuracy.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

I expect a max range of 100yds. I seem to spend most of my time working up loads and putting holes in paper. The 110 TX would be for hunting in the future perhaps, but I have rifles for that. Need non-lead projectiles in CA these days.

I could go through various bullets and powders and load combos, but I don't want to keep washing a brown horse with my real desire to have a white one. I'd rather go to a barrel that's a known accuracy performer and proceed from there.

I'm interested if another barrel would exceed the accuracy of the Wilson at the same cost or lower. Sub MOA is desirable and seems the Wilson is capable of that.

I have a couple other 300blk barrels to sell to recoup funds on this project. Add the KAK barrel and will have 3 to sell. I'm out of room in the safe so its consolidation and upgrade time.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

It sounds like the Wilson barrel is going to do exactly what you want it to. I don't see any reason why the 8" wouldn't be as accurate or maybe even more accurate than my 16". Not sure you'd notice at 100 yards or so. If your groups are 2" at 50 and 4" at 100, I think that would be incentive for me to want another barrel, assuming I've determined that the barrel is the source of poor accuracy.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Thanks for the input on this. I just ordered one. OpticsPlanet had it in stock.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Awesome. Keep us posted on how it shoots!