the Covid got me

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: the Covid got me

Post by rebel »

Pretty sure I had it last January. Have a regular customer that got back from Wuhan China in mid December 2019. He is deaf and leans close to hear you. I nicknamed him Patient Zero. White liquor and mucinex got me through it, though I needed a 10 day antibiotic regimen to rid myself of the toxic sinus infection it left me with. All this before it was even a news story. I know folks it's killed though.
Glad you are better Plant!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

plant.one, glade you are better. You are one of my favorite online gun people.

My wife was telling me last night of these creeps at a California hospital that had vaccine earmarked for those that needed it. Instead they called their buddies to come get the vaccine. They got caught and used the excuse they didn't want to waste the vaccine since it was already thawed out. News media found out they had a line of people waiting to get the vaccine that was sent home. Those in the hospital need to get fired.

Christmas has been a bust this year because of C19 fears, at least for us. I am 73 with MS (multiple sclerosis) hobbling around and my wife is 68. I am frustrated with how people are picked to get the vaccine. Started it was 65 and older since old people are at a greater risk of poor outcome. Now it is 75 and older. I was getting a haircut last week and a guy waiting was in the upfront group for the vaccine as he was a dumptruck driver and his company patches holes in asphalt. Who the heck is not an essential worker?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Plant are ya able to give us a update?

I have been lucky so far, I had neck surgery in July and with that was covid tested 10 days before I was admitted. That all went well, and I was suspended from shooting until the end of October. Better then ever, now!

I hope you make a strong recovery and get back to where you were!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thanks for checkin in on me!

i'm getting better by the day - just very slowly. Tis the nature of viral Pneumonia. You just have to ride it out and let your body fight thru it.

i'm off the Singular now (yay one less pill) and starting to get some strength back - but the stamina is still taking a hot minute. I'm glad to say my blood o2 has been holding in the mid 90's even after 6-8 hours of no oxygen therapy. a "bad" reading for me over the last week has been 92/93. I've mostly been using the o2 nose canella while i sleep these days, just to be extra cautious.

i can still tell when i'm getting close to the end of my Albuterol inhaler treatment time though, likewise with the Tessalon pearls. Its the nature of what i do though.. i go between my truck and buildings 8-10 times a day at least, and the temps have been in the upper 20's and low 30's... so the lungs are still objecting to the cold temps.

lung capacity (based on my little breathing exercise tool they gave me) has gained more than 1250 cc's since ive been discharged. i still cant cap that damn thing out, but i'm right under max of what the device can measure (4000 cc).

I had to climb an industrial ladder (the yellow b@st@rds that are bolted to the wall and go straight up) to get above a utility room to access the electrical panel to kill a breaker in a store and just took my time. Wasnt too bad... but i still felt some strain making the climb up and down that i wouldnt have thought twice about before - ive been up/down that specific ladder a dozen or mroe times in the past. Two weeks ago... i wouldnt have even considered attempting that.

so like any recovery - it cant happen fast enough - but i'm seeing positive enough results to know that i am making legit forward process. Thats been a big help to me, psychologically speaking. i'm not used to having physical limitations like this... other than my back stuff (which still leave me thankfully very capable as long as i'm cautious about how i do stuff).. i've always been a strong relatively healthy person. So facing stuff like doing simple home tasks (laundry, etc) or not being able to walk 200' across a parking lot with a 16lb box on my shoulder without feeling winded really had me getting kinda bummed out for a hot minute.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Plant, hope you're doing better!!!
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

VENT625 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:51 pm Plant, hope you're doing better!!!
thanks vent

at this point.. significantly better.

still not completely out of the woods with the pneumonia yet - but pretty damn close at this point. they warned me it would take forever.. but its redonkulus. really fumey stuff (diesel, cologone/perfume, etc) still really irritate my lungs but its wierd too how selective it is...

like last week... i was doing a job that required a ton of pvc glue to be used.. the whole area was awful - even the store staff was like "wow its strong back here" and i didnt even hardly notice that... so go figure.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

Glad things are going well. I echo the previous commenter about how seemingly random this thing is. I had it around Thanksgiving and like you Plant, didn't even put two and two together until I was about two days into it.

Fortunately at least for me, all my symptoms were very mild - day or two on the couch, some congestion, but weird in that it was different from seasonal flu. Seemed like the COVID symptoms had a meeting every so often and decided which ones would present any particular day.

Can't complain. Worst part of it for me was being unable to taste my Thanksgiving dinner.

And I already find myself in arguments with people over why I won't be getting the vaccine.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I don't argue with anyone about me not taking the vaccine. It's none of their business for starters, and it's my body. I'll do what I want with it. I've seen the result of their medical advice re: diet and heart disease, and statins and they lie. So the med' establishment is the last place I go to for their "advice". I learned many years ago that a starving man doesn't need to have bread advertised to him to know that he needs to eat. The only things that need "selling" are things that we don't need. The more the lying med' establishment pushes the vaccine the more they harden my resolve to not get it.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

BJK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 am I don't argue with anyone about me not taking the vaccine. It's none of their business for starters, and it's my body. I'll do what I want with it. I've seen the result of their medical advice re: diet and heart disease, and statins and they lie. So the med' establishment is the last place I go to for their "advice". I learned many years ago that a starving man doesn't need to have bread advertised to him to know that he needs to eat. The only things that need "selling" are things that we don't need. The more the lying med' establishment pushes the vaccine the more they harden my resolve to not get it.
Trouble is it is not your body in the Covid era if you spread it. You can look up the stats and it is easy to determine the elderly, like me do not do well with Covid. If you are past 70 like me, and want to roll the dice just keep to yourself, isolated from society.

Think about tetanus, polio, smallpox "red" measles and other community based diseases that now have vaccines. I hope you will at least wear a N95 mask, stay as far away from others in a community setting, and other ways of preventing diseases.

Early on in my medical career, there was a certain group of parents who did not want their kids to get vaccines for common childhood diseases before starting school. There was a 1:10,000 chance of severe reaction to the MMR vaccine. They want everybody else to get the vaccine to protect their kids.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Covid saved my life actually. Last September, I layed down for a quick nap, felt fine. Woke up two hours later with a 100.5 fever. My first thought was "covid"! I had some abdominal pain which I had attributed to a bowel obstruction. (I've been doing keto for 3 years, one side effect can be constipation/obstruction). I went to a small clinic for a covid test, and was told to immediately get to an ER. My wife, a nurse, met me at the ER where the immediately strung me up to IV's and started taking numerous vials of my blood. Six hours later, I was released with an antibiotic prescription and sent home, fever depleted. Two days later, an infectious disease DR. called me and told me to immediately re-admit myself in to the ER as a bacteria had grown in my blood that enlarges the heart and affects the valves. I was in the hospital for 3 days, hooked up to a heart monitor, and had continuous IV antibiotics pumped into me. After a heart echo, all was determined that we had killed the bacteria. I was sent home with a pic line and had to administer antibiotics to myself for two weeks.

I was told by the ER Dr. that I had been in the first stages of sepsis, from an intestinal infection that ruptured. That was the abdominal pain. My wife, who's a cardiac nurse said that if I had waited just another 24 hours to go to the ER, I wouldve probably been in the ICU on a ventilator with major heart issues.

The lesson I have always lived by, and did so in this instance, is listen to your body. If something is going on and you cant explain it, get it checked out. While covid has taken over 500,000 US lives, it saved this one.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."