Spent case damage

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Frysl

Spent case damage

Post by Frysl »

Hello all,
Since purchasing an upper, I’ve notice that all my brass is hitting the deflector with enough force the dent the case mouth. Normal, or is this telling me something? Anything to be concerned about?
Thanks
Steve
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Spent case damage

Post by 20X11 »

Perfectly normal and expected.
pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Post by pj-schmidt »

20X11 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 pm Perfectly normal and expected.
Frysl

Post by Frysl »

Thanks!
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

If it bothers you, a piece of self sticking velcro or a pad used to keep cabinets from slamming stuck at the right point on the upper will soften the blow of the collision!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Sig220 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:54 pm If it bothers you, a piece of self sticking velcro or a pad used to keep cabinets from slamming stuck at the right point on the upper will soften the blow of the collision!
^^^^ this

although do note.. it wont eliminate all the case mouth denting, but it'll decrease it, often by quite a bit
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

Count the dents and subtract one (the factory load). That is roughly how many times that piece of brass has been loaded and fired from an AR :lol: Bolt guns mess up this math.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

The stick on inner tube patches work very well, cut to size, peel and stick. Hundreds of rounds later it still hangs on :P
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

I know this is old, but maybe someone is having a similar problem and looking at older posts. Another option may be a slightly heavier buffer to slow down bolt speed and therefore delay ejection. It may reduce the felt recoil a little, too. As I understand it, the case hitting the deflector every time and ejecting the brass at 1 or 2 o'clock can be a sign of overgassed gun cycling the BCG a little fast. You don't want to slow it down so much that it doesn't cycle the bolt all the way back and pick up the next round, but If you try an H2 and it moves the ejection more toward 3 o'clock, you're probably on the right track. If you play with AR's much, you'll probably end up with some extra buffers, and that's not a bad thing.