Cheap Optics

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Cheap Optics

Post by cwlongshot »

I know full well ya get what ya pay for..

Generally when asked I recommend Leupold Optics.

I had and have used a M812X Leupold for over a decade. Last year I sold it. Dumb ass as today folks are allot more proud of there’s than I was and replacing it without much costs is problematic...

I started using a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-24-50. It’s actually a fine scope For my use. My use is range time. Accuracy proving. A scope that gets mounted and used on a new acquisition to “prove” accuracy. Thing is that durn 50mm makes mounting a problem for some applications.

Now for my question. Saturday while surfin I ran across a few off name fixed 10 power scopes. I was all set to drop about three on a used swfa 10-44. But this OhHunt kept popping up for about 1/2 that. This scope will never SR advantage of twilight or dawn light gathering. Probably never see a drop of water either. Just needs good turrets and adequate glass clarity.

I have bought a number of “cheapo” Chinese knock offs reciently. Leupold and Trijicon copies. Last one was a 1.5-6 no battery lighted reticule. A triangle on a post. WOW is it clear!!! Turrets have been good. But I sited and will
Leave it as I feel this is these cheap scopes down fall. (Hence my coming question)
The “Leupold” is a 1.5-5 and it too is been just fine living on a Savage 24.
Both scopes where under 100 $ and for my needs, so far have been very good.

This brand, Ohhunt has actually been on my radar as they offer short 4 & 4.5x scopes for about the same 75 ish costs. I have a Camp Carbine in 45 acp that’s needing s short small low powered optic. Probably shoulda jumped here first...

Anyhow. This Guardian 10 x 44 with a 30 mm tube optic pops up. It is offered with a wire reticule or etched glass BDC. Locking raised target turrets. Nitrogen purged, Water Proof with a side focus. There is also a illuminated version.

Costs are about $140-160. Further looking finds one that’s 113$ shipped brand new... I punched the button.

It’s first gonna be used on my RARR 300 BO.

Has anyone used a Ohhunt? Any one seen or used this exact scope??

I see one single review and it was quite favorable. Now I wouldn’t stake my life to it and Probably never even ever take it in the woods. As a fixed 10 don’t have much use unless your maybe in a P dog town.

Like to hear your thoughts on these scopes from your experiences using them.

Thx

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cheap Optics

Post by GunFunZS »

I haven't used that exact brand but when you're saying over $100 all I hear is could have had a used Nikon and not had problems with it. If you're in the $150 range you're maybe looking at a used nice primary arms scope. I think I would rather have something used for the quality brand than gamble on some of the random Chinese brands.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I agree, But search as I did. Nothing showed.

Forums as well as eBay and only forums a couple Weaver targets for 300+ and a Burris 12x for 250... Leupolds where more than that but only found a 36x and a 7.5x.

CW

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

CW, I thought long and hard before I posted this. You know what I do for a living now, the optics market has fascinated me with it's marketing, pricing and who they want to sell their product. One leading producer of optics requires a dealer to commit to $7500 a year for Chinese junk. Lotta hype, millennial gun guys like them, who gives a shit where they are made?Right? I dug a bit deeper. There are a ton of new optic companies out there, the deal is in the the tracking. So in a real life 100 yard box test, will the el cheapo track true? Probably not, so what does clear glass get you if 4 clicks equal 1 and 3/8s at 100? Japanese is the way to go, Philippine mfg. with Jap glass is catching up. So if you spend X on the scope you speak of, and it suits you -great. Optics are a purely personal choice that I don't give anybody sh%t about, and don't expect them to give me any should I choose a much more expensive option.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I was waitin brother. Hopin’ you would post up!! ;)

It’s a test... We see what I see. I have been lucky so far. This is the third attempt down This road.

Hope the covid don’t delay it too long/much.

CW

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

IME, the fixed SWFA SS in 10x and 6x have been an outstanding value. I bought mine from The List and have had no reason to replace them. But the turrets are tall, and I suddenly developed ejection problems in a Tikka T3, and it was a devil to figure out until I slow-mo video’d the brass bouncing off the turret and back into the action. I had to slide that 10x back a bit to clear the turret.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Still waitin on delivery...

betolatinlu

Post by betolatinlu »

I recently purchased an SWFA 16X scope . I've used it once at the range and now I kinda wish I'd purchased 12X 'cause 16X seems to be a bit much . Thing is, it wasn't all that expensive and I think it's lots of bang for the buck.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

cwlongshot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:51 am Still waitin on delivery...
Where did you buy it from?

A lot of bait and switch as well as just plain stealing being done by a lot of Wish.com type online retailers.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

It was Ebay. I dont remember seller. But when I checked he was in New Jersey. Nothing about China but its manufacturer. He is likely just a broker. But not being honest stating New Jersey under "shipped from" title.

I have been "caught"this way before. Only bothers as Im a bit impatient. :shock: :mrgreen:

I just traded for a Nice Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40 im gonna wait for the 10x to show then decide. The Bushnell is nice and clear never been mounted in factory box. About same dims as the Redfield 6x thats mounted now.

CW