No go?

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

No go?

Post by triggerman300 »

Recently got a good price on an 18" SPR barrel for my 5.56 upper. It's not here yet but broke the gun down awhile and cleaned everything real good. I figured I'd get some headspace gages and check the new barrel with my bolt,just to be sure. I thought I'd check my old barrel,just for grins. I stripped the bolt,dropped the go gage in and the bolt will spin when fully inserted. Only problem is it does the same with the no-go gage. I've got a couple hundred rounds through the old bolt/barrel combo and never had a problem,other than it not being real accurate. Now I'm curious how it would do with a field gage. The original barrel and bolt were bought seperately and HS was never checked.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: No go?

Post by A-Game »

ARs are self head spaced because there is nothing to adjust. A tight chamber can only be reamed.
There are foreign pin protrusion gages that may be more useful.

Any in spec bolt will mate up to any in spec barrel.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

This is the opposite of tight. I guess I'd have to try some different bolts to correct it. Hope I have better luck with the new barrel.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

That's why you should never check headspace. It only causes you grief and needless worry. :lol:
I kid, of course. Do you reload or shoot factory ammo?
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

triggerman300 wrote:Recently got a good price on an 18" SPR barrel for my 5.56 upper. It's not here yet but broke the gun down awhile and cleaned everything real good. I figured I'd get some headspace gages and check the new barrel with my bolt,just to be sure. I thought I'd check my old barrel,just for grins. I stripped the bolt,dropped the go gage in and the bolt will spin when fully inserted. Only problem is it does the same with the no-go gage. I've got a couple hundred rounds through the old bolt/barrel combo and never had a problem,other than it not being real accurate. Now I'm curious how it would do with a field gage. The original barrel and bolt were bought seperately and HS was never checked.
.....more than a single thing can influence the results of checking HS with gauges. If your NO GO is allowing the bolt to fully seat and rotate into a locked position the "possible" causes can be (in no particular order) assuming ammo's casing is to spec:

1. Barrel chamber erosion in area of shoulder(typical after high round counts)
2. Chamber cut out of spec (depth/length)
3. Barrel extension lug wear/out of spec
4. Barrel extension face wear/out of spec
5. Bolt lug wear/out of spec (front to rear dimensions)
6. BCG cam pin channel wear/out of spec
7. Cam pin wear/out of spec
8. BCG face wear/out of spec

...due the minimal measurement differences between the 3 typical gauges used, each of the referenced points listed above can allow/disallow the movement of the bolt accordingly. Items 5-8 can be readily resolved by parts replacement/swapping and sometimes resolve 3 & 4 as well. Items 1 & 2 are a little more involved, but doable.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

I shoot mostly reloads. I was checking with the barrel uninstalled and a stripped bolt. BCG wouldn't be a factor,only a couple hundred rounds through this barrel. Erosion shouldn't be either. Probably bolt problem. If I have the same problem w/new barrel I'll have to get some new bolts.