Double!

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Double!

Post by triggerman300 »

Last time out with my 5.56 AR I had a double,luckily it stayed on paper. This thing really throws the brass when I don't have the catcher on. Is it possible that bolt speed is so fast it can cause a double? Just glad there wasn't more ammo in the mag!
BillJ
Silent Operator

Re: Double!

Post by BillJ »

Is this a new gun? Did you build it? Did you put the disconnector spring in upside down? Is it doing it every time now?

How clean is your bolt carrier group?

Check that, but its probably the disconnector/spring.

Unload gun. Pull the trigger and hold it back. Charge the gun. Very slowly release the trigger.
If the hammer drops, you have a disconnector problem and it or the spring need replacing.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

To the OP, glad you asked this. I have this problem from time to time with one of my factory built ARs. I thought it was just me. I am putting this on my to check out list.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

Yes,this is built by me. It was just thoroughly cleaned prior to this. Only did this once,hasn't done it since. The trigger is a drop-in Black Rain w/anti walk pins. I'll try that test,thanx.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

triggerman300 wrote:Yes,this is built by me. It was just thoroughly cleaned prior to this. Only did this once,hasn't done it since. The trigger is a drop-in Black Rain w/anti walk pins. I'll try that test,thanx.
Possible that you pulled the trigger twice without knowing it during the recoil. Happens sometimes if your trigger has a short reset and you are not careful.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

smustian wrote:
triggerman300 wrote:Yes,this is built by me. It was just thoroughly cleaned prior to this. Only did this once,hasn't done it since. The trigger is a drop-in Black Rain w/anti walk pins. I'll try that test,thanx.
Possible that you pulled the trigger twice without knowing it during the recoil. Happens sometimes if your trigger has a short reset and you are not careful.
This is very likely the reason, especially with a drop in trigger. I had a Geissele Super 3 gun in my blk for a while which was horrible about doubling if I wasnt very focused on trigger follow through. This seemed to occur mostly with my 150gr load which has noticeably more recoil than the light .223 load I usually shoot in my 3 gun rig, which has a Timney trigger in it. I think the extra bit of recoil, differences in trigger reset, and sloppy weapon gripping on my behalf, were causing the trouble.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

smustian wrote:

^^^This^^^
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

A single bumpfire, especially easy if shooting off a bench.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

It passed the test BillJ recommended several times.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

I've been trying to learn to do this consistently but it seems to be very difficult if you're trying to make it happen.