55gr plinking loads...Varget or ????

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

55gr plinking loads...Varget or ????

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Recently won an 8# jug of Varget, and starting my 223 loads now that im comfortable with other cals already...also won a bunch of 55gr Wolf FMJBT projos, so now i'm wondering, should i use the Varget (which i hear is a better powder for heavier projectiles) or try to trade it? If trade, what for? Tried a local trade request for H335, but no takers yet. Thoughts?
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Re: 55gr plinking loads...Varget or ????

Post by Scratch »

I use Varget for all my rifle loads. (well...except 300blk) 55gr and 73gr in .223, and my .308 loads as well. I try to keep it down to as few powders as possible.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

Varget is a great powder to have around. you can put it in just about any rifle round you want to. It may not be the best powder for all rounds but you can make it work. I use to have 20 different powders around I maybe down to 6-8 now.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

if you're just making plinkers - find a powder that will meter better and use that. something you dont have to weigh every charge and will go through a volumetric powder thrower consistently.

varget rocks as its not very temp sensative, but i wouldnt waste it on just banging steel with a cheap projo in a plinking load.

i wouldnt trade it though either. thats 8 lbs of gold you have right there. save it for hunting and accuracy loads for precision shooting. that jug will load roughly 2200 rounds of 223 for you, and stored properly will last pretty much indefinitely until you use it up.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Varget meters like crap. I use WC844 for bulk 55g 223 because It is (used to be) a lot cheaper than commercial stuff.
gunenthusiast36

Post by gunenthusiast36 »

When I reload .223/.308 in volume for a day on the range I just use BLC 2. Its usually in stock and one of the cheaper powders. I would hang onto that Varget though, any time I try buying it its out of stock (I don't buy powder and primers online to avoid HAZMAT and shipping costs).
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

For loading a lot of plinking ammo I like TAC or H335,goes through powder thrower like water. Unless you have a Chargemaster or something like it,then it doesn't matter.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

BLC(2), H335, Accurate Data 2200, WW 748, all work well in .223/5.56 with 50-62 gr bullets, and meter well. The old saw about any rifle that won't shoot a 52 gr Match bullet using H335 into MOA, isn't an accurate rifle is pretty much true, at least that has been my experience.

Varget is a great powder, but as has been stated, it meters less than well, so any type of volume/progressive type loading will be a PITA.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I have been slow to accept and try "new" powders. Mostly cause I have stocked up on old stuff cause I long ago proved its accuracy and reliability...

Varget was one of the first "new" powders I bought and I have been very happy with its performance over a few cartridges.
I'm actually low now myself. I have a run this weekend planned and 4# of Varget is on my list.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS