224 Valkyrie

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: 224 Valkyrie

Post by bearcatrp »

Savage now has 2 AR's for the Valkyrie. The all black one is looking pretty good. Emailed Larue to see if they would sell there 11 inch upper without a suppressor or pinned brake. Really hope other manufacturers jump in to get costs coming down.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Here is the 1st upper to come out ready for sale that I have seen....
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-r ... 47591.html
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

A guy just asked my about the 224 Valkyrie. I told him the info I know/had. He asked if "anybody was making it in a bolt gun?". I told him he was missing the point of the thing fitting in the AR mag. Told him there are a lot of others that can best it in a bolt gun. He doesn't wont an AR. I walked away.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Jethro99 wrote:A guy just asked my about the 224 Valkyrie. I told him the info I know/had. He asked if "anybody was making it in a bolt gun?". I told him he was missing the point of the thing fitting in the AR mag. Told him there are a lot of others that can best it in a bolt gun. He doesn't wont an AR. I walked away.
That was the original point of the 300 blackout as well. Now look how many bot action and single shot guns we have floating around with the chambering....
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

BC98 wrote:
triggerman300 wrote:Most brass is trashed after 1 firing. Go with the 22x6.8 or 22 Nosgar.
Based on what experience/data?

ETA: Was this post about 22 Nosler or .224 Valkyrie?
Based on my personal experience with the Nosler version. Ditched that and am now running the Nosgar, 0 problems now.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....the 224V really piqued my interest, to the point I was ready to commit to a build with it. The thought of just a barrel, bolt and magazine purchase makes for a pretty enticing "economic savings". My only concern was that current barrel offerings were mostly 1:7 (existing .223/5.56 stock being rechamberd??), which did seem a little contradictory that Sierra advises a "6-7" twist rate for the 90SMK.

...increasing reports coming out about "less than expected" accuracy with the 90's in the 1:7, which is the weight class the touted "1300Yds" gained is attributed to. Primer pocket expansion is being reported as well, but I take that with a grain of salt as powder type and charge weights being used by those reporting can be a real factor.

...some good reports coming out regarding the lighter projectiles, but for me counters my intent to use only the heavies...

...saw a post on another site where JP sent a customer a message advising that in their testing, they didn't feel the 1:7 was up to their "standards", but... they were still willing to complete his order (he was on their list for the scheduled production run to be completed).

....don't ya just hate it when the siren song for a new toy is so strong ya just can't wait to "scratch that itch" :roll: :shock: :lol:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

My business partner is building a bolt action. If it shoots great in AR length with those long ass bullets, it will do better in a bolt with more velocity. Interesting round. My way would be a 22-243 improved and go for broke. Probably burnt it out in 700 shots - but damn what a screamer of a bolt gun. :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I’ll wait until the 1:6.5 or 1:6 twist barrels come out before jumping into this.