224 Valkyrie

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

224 Valkyrie

Post by bearcatrp »

Anyone considering this caliber? It’s a bit early to judge but if it does what is being said about it, may be a sweet caliber for 1000 yards or less. Once folks get there hands on it, range reports should tell us if it’s a winner or not.
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: 224 Valkyrie

Post by ozleux »

I wasn't, until now. Looks pretty interesting
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

who comes up with this stuff? I'll never have money in the bank. Looks like something I could get behind, if I had 1000 pieces of brass first. All wildcats/new/strange calibers, it comes down to brass for me.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

My 6.8 does about the same with 90g bullets, likewise with 25-45 and 87g.

I can't justify putzing around with another type of brass, but to a 556 AR guy who wants to do something different, I think would be an interesting option.

The 22 Nosler looks better to me, but that brass situation sucks.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

Most brass is trashed after 1 firing. Go with the 22x6.8 or 22 Nosgar.
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

triggerman300 wrote:Most brass is trashed after 1 firing. Go with the 22x6.8 or 22 Nosgar.
Based on what experience/data?

ETA: Was this post about 22 Nosler or .224 Valkyrie?
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

golfindia wrote:My 6.8 does about the same with 90g bullets, likewise with 25-45 and 87g.

I can't justify putzing around with another type of brass, but to a 556 AR guy who wants to do something different, I think would be an interesting option.

The 22 Nosler looks better to me, but that brass situation sucks.
22 Nosler may be better for varmint bullets or lower grain weights but is not optimized for the heavy for caliber bullets like the 90gr SMK.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Seeing AR's are being produced 1st for this caliber tells me it must be a great round for the AR. Savage already came out with an AR but not a bolt action yet. I want a bolt action 1st to test it out so I don't spend to much into this caliber, in case it turns out to be a dud and have to dump it. Sounds like you need to load them long to achieve maximum velocity. Guess we will see around SHOT who is backing this caliber. Just hope most the information out now comes true.
BC98
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BC98 »

bearcatrp wrote:Seeing AR's are being produced 1st for this caliber tells me it must be a great round for the AR. Savage already came out with an AR but not a bolt action yet. I want a bolt action 1st to test it out so I don't spend to much into this caliber, in case it turns out to be a dud and have to dump it. Sounds like you need to load them long to achieve maximum velocity. Guess we will see around SHOT who is backing this caliber. Just hope most the information out now comes true.
If you already have an AR, it may be cheaper to just pick up and upper and then sell it if you decide to ditch the caliber. I'm not sure that I understand the comment about loading long for velocity. All of the factory velocities are based on rounds loaded to AR mag length. JP, Larue, Savage, MPA, LMT, and LWRC have already committed to building rifles and Palmetto State Armory, CMT Tactical, and Rainier Arms are uppers and/or barrels. For a new cartridge, that's a pretty substantial amount of backing.
Ballistic Edge

Post by Ballistic Edge »

We are building 2 bolt action Savages right now. We are awaiting parts.
I chose the bolt gun as I felt there was more to the cartridge if you removed the mag restrictions. It appears that has been thought of as PTG has a bolt action only reamer designed and available. I have reamer on the way. But gauges are having to be made so looking at a couple of months. One hold up for us is we are having 2 custom barrels designed. They are cut rifled, gain twist, will start the twist at about 1 in 12 and finish at 1 in 5.9 and trying to make the rifling ratchet designed as well. Also looking at slightly longer barrel about 24-28 in long will probably settle at 26. With this design of rifling the muzzle end is fixed and cant be shortened as you will lose the faster twist section of the barrel. So any changes have to be from the breach end.
The gain twist barrels is doing real will in the service rifle arena as it is felt that the bullets are less deformed by the gradual increase in the twist rate over the conventional designed barrels. Our barrels will be 8 grove right now but may change.

I feel that if this caliber takes off the bullet manufactures will be right behind with heaver longer bullets like 100 or 110 gr vld's. One of the factory loads available is a 100 gr pill along with factory loaded 90 grain sierra vld pills. Since federal is marketing the parent company will make the rest happen. If you think about it it is real smart as a light recoiling rifle will bring a lot more shooters in to the fast growing precision shooting arena in particular woman and children. Why do you think initial factory ammo offering is a match type design.

Down side is at the moment there are no off the shelf dies and components available. all components are being held till after the shot show and official roll out. I have been told there will be a blitz. We will see. But feel that they really want you to buy the factory stuff.
Phil