need opinion! should i mess with something thats perfect?

Discussion about 5.56mm ARs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

austinar15

need opinion! should i mess with something thats perfect?

Post by austinar15 »

I have a S&W M&P 15 OR with a 16" barrel and the thing is more accurate than a $1000 rifle should be. I can put 5 50gr VMAX over 23.7g of H335 under .5inch @100yards every time and within .4 or .35 when I'm shooting good. the rifle is 100% stock besides a drop in 4 way. I'm debating on converting it to a free floater with a 15" tac-hunter keymod and their barrel nut and a low profile gas block in the future. Should I leave the rifle alone and adhere to the old saying, "if its not broke don't fix it?" I just feel like a rifle that I paid $950 (without optics) shoots like a 2000 from the factory bench rifle. Also, the gun has never missed a cycle or failed to put a bullet down range.
Is there a risk of messing with the accuracy and reliability by swapping the Delta ring, and gas block out for a barrel nut and Low profile gas block.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: need opinion! should i mess with something thats perfect?

Post by smustian »

If you want an excuse to build a second rifle then make the changes. Once you find out that you do not like it, change it back. Of course you then have left over parts that will start a new rifle. :P

That said, I would keep the rifle that shoots that way stock and just build another. Parts are plentiful and cheap right now.
austinar15

Post by austinar15 »

[quote="smustian"]If you want an excuse to build a second rifle then make the changes. Once you find out that you do not like it, change it back. Of course you then have left over parts that will start a new rifle. :P

That said, I would keep the rifle that shoots that way stock and just build another. Parts are plentiful and cheap right now.[/qubote]
I just finished a 300blk pistol build and went $700 over my budget so I don't got the funds to build another one right now lol. BUT my next full build will be a 6.5 Grendel long range setup
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Budgets are great until you start building AR type weapons. You will constantly run into a part that you had rather have and of course it is more expensive. What costs more, building what you want the first time or staying within a budget and later upgrading parts you sacrificed on to meet your budget?
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Lets work through this...

Risk v. Reward

First Risk:
You have a better than average shooting rifle, but you are not happy with its configuration.
The changes that you want to make have two areas that risk hurting that.
First, when you remove that barrel nut, you run the risk of not getting the exact same barrel fit & torque when it is re-assembled.
Second, your gas block is likely pinned on and you will have to take all the stock stuff off.
The risk in all of this, is that it will change your barrel harmonics and effect the over all accuracy of it.
I personally, have never seen a negative change, but the risk is there.

Reward:
Consistency = Accuracy
Moving to a free floated system will always be more consistent. (When properly assembled.)
A traditional setup imparts a lot of force on the barrel.
When it comes to accuracy, the barrel is the heart of the system.
If you have a barrel that shoots well under less than ideal conditions, it will most likely shoot better under improved conditions.
That being said, when barrel harmonics change, the disposition / performance of that barrel change. (Regardless of the change, the barrel will be more consistent.)
Then of course, you have the "CDI Factor". (Who doesn't just love a nice sexy rail system?)

Bottom line for me?
I'd do it.
What good is having a rifle that you are not happy with, but shoots great?
The risk of a negative return is low, but still there.
If you want to lower that risk a bit, pick a rail system that reuses your existing barrel nut.

Hope this info is useful...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
GSO
Silent But Deadly

Post by GSO »

I agree with smustian..if it works better than average, don't mess with it. If you don't have the budget now for a new upper build, then I suggest continuing research while the budget recovers and buy parts as the budget allows. Then, before you know it, you'll have the money for the parts for a new upper...and shortly thereafter another lower. I tend to accumulate parts when I find them on sale, and suggest everyone do the same. I do suggest a better storage system than I've got (random boxes in the man cave). I did a small clean up and discovered I'd somehow accumulated 12 complete BCG's...I do have some extra upper parts but need to start buying some barrels I suppose.
I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg
austinar15

Post by austinar15 »

The M&P OR is on top obviously, it's the only picture I had of it on my phone. I used to be okay with the way it looked and handled but after building the 300blk pistol (on the bottom) I no longer like the carbine length handguard and where the pod grip sits. Which is why I want to go with a 15" freefloat and put a bipod all the way up front and a stubby pistol grip behind the bipod. Also, swap out the A2 pistol grip and stop with more comfortable furniture. I'm either going to go with the two tone FDE scheme like the 300blk or all black
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

R
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Build another and try to exceed the current rifles accuracy.
cjclemens

Post by cjclemens »

I couldn't bring myself to take that rifle apart, any more than I could put my foot through a Van Gogh. Even if I wasn't 100% thrilled with the configuration, I'd leave it as is. As someone else mentioned, I'd use it as a personal goal - to build another rifle that shoots as well as the original.