Asking here!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

gunfan2
Silent Operator

Asking here!

Post by gunfan2 »

I have asked basically the same question in the "suppressor forum", but didn't get but one answer. I have purchased a SiCo Hybrid Suppressor. I want to know if shooting powder coated bullets will lead up the suppressor. This particular suppressor is not user serviceable. I am referring to 300 blackout with subsonic loads and 9 mm and 45 acp with subsonic as well using powder coated bullets. Your help will be appreciated!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Asking here!

Post by plant.one »

from everything i've read - powder coated is fine and shouldn't lead up the can - as long as you dont shave the PC off when loading them.

thats why folks go through the trouble to do stuff like PC to their cast - saves the grief!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Interested in this as well because I just purchased the silencerco omega and now waiting for it to get out of jail but want to get my loads perfected before it gets here
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

I powder coat, and every now and then I'll find a little lead on the flash hider. One coat of some PC's and I'll find a lot. It use to really bother me until the day the outer shell screwed off my Omega and I realized I could clean the core in the ultrasonic. I use just a coloring of oven cleaner and then "dip" it for the lead. The most it has ever fizzed in the dip is maybe an hour, so there isn't that much lead. I run it through the ultrasonic one more time to be sure, but it probably isn't necessary. I like to see the solution stay clean one cycle. Then I dry it, bake it in a can of DOT5, assemble and it's good to go. The first cleaning took quite a few cycles to get a clean cycle. Big chunks of carbon were shaking out that first time. With the DOT5 treatment it'll cleans up in one cycle now. I only clean it when I'm worried there might be a lead buildup and I wouldn't shoot uncoated lead, but I don't worry about shooting a lot of coated lead anymore.

You need to be aware there is a small threaded ring on the Omega that is Cerakoted between the ASR and the core that will turn a white grey in the ultrasonic. It's small enough that the accent actually looks pretty good once it all comes off. Maybe that ring comes off too, but it hasn't for me. It's something about knowing the lead isn't in there that makes shooting it enjoyable.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

For subs, you're good to go with either plain based or gas checked bullets powder coated through your suppressor.

For supers, gas checked powder coated bullets are what you want if it's an AR. Just be sure your checks are crimped on firmly, generally a non-issue if you're using modern Hornady copper checks. I've had aluminum checks come off, and the old Lyman style often came off, not good for the suppressor.
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

Quickload says my cast subs, even at 998.8 fps, are right at that 35,000 psi limit. That and I seat them pretty deep. I suspect that's why a see a little lead now and then. Accuracy is only ok, but they're cheap, quiet and function so well in a GI mag. It's my favorite fodder. Anyway if Marlin ever sends me my plain base gas check die, I hope to see what that does.
BillJ
Silent Operator

Post by BillJ »

With my 220 Leatherhead load, I get no barrel leading. Very slight amount on my blast chamber spacer, and some on the first baffle.

Im at over 700 rounds of them, and not even at the point Id consider scraping it off.
If it ever did get bad, research "the dip for silencers". Toxic chemical end result that must be disposed of properly. You can plug one end of the suppressor and pour it in, let it soak and pour it out.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

BillJ wrote:With my 220 Leatherhead load, I get no barrel leading. Very slight amount on my blast chamber spacer, and some on the first baffle.

Im at over 700 rounds of them, and not even at the point Id consider scraping it off.
If it ever did get bad, research "the dip for silencers". Toxic chemical end result that must be disposed of properly. You can plug one end of the suppressor and pour it in, let it soak and pour it out.
The end result is lead acetate. It is very dangerous and is known to be carcinogenic. It can cross the blood brain barrier as well. It contaminates ground water and cannot be filtered out. So if anyone uses the "dip" please make sure you have a way to dispose of it properly.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

cdl wrote:Quickload says my cast subs, even at 998.8 fps, are right at that 35,000 psi limit. That and I seat them pretty deep. I suspect that's why a see a little lead now and then. Accuracy is only ok, but they're cheap, quiet and function so well in a GI mag. It's my favorite fodder. Anyway if Marlin ever sends me my plain base gas check die, I hope to see what that does.

What 35,000 psi limit are you referring to?
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
BillJ wrote:With my 220 Leatherhead load, I get no barrel leading. Very slight amount on my blast chamber spacer, and some on the first baffle.

The end result is lead acetate. It is very dangerous and is known to be carcinogenic. It can cross the blood brain barrier as well. It contaminates ground water and cannot be filtered out. So if anyone uses the "dip" please make sure you have a way to dispose of it properly.
This type of stuff scares me. Is there any other way to clean our cans without causing cancer?