NOE HP 311-247-FN RG4

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

yondering
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE HP 311-247-FN RG4

Post by yondering »

Sweet, that's a good lookin mushroom! Glad it's working for ya; that's a good bullet. As we discussed, I set that up to use something like WW alloy, no pure lead needed, although you could use that too if you wanted.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Is there any way I could get the dimensions for those pins? I'll be buying this mold here soon and I would like to be able to hunt with this bullet. Or if I need to send the mold and pins to yondering then I could do that when I get it if of course he doesn't mind.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

bdill wrote:Is there any way I could get the dimensions for those pins? I'll be buying this mold here soon...
How long is "soon" in NOE time? :lol:

As for dimensions, look at my drawing up the thread. Change the .500" to about .33".
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Well crap. I looked at the wrong ones when I saw they were in stock. Is there an eta of when they will have more?

Is the pin just cut to a point or is there another measurment I need. Sorry for all the questions in advance.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

bdill wrote:Is there an eta of when they will have more?
ETA is when the quantity changes from 0 to something else. :roll: You can go to the NOE site and make a request on the wish list forum. Or better yet, see if you drum up interest in a group buy.
bdill wrote: Is the pin just cut to a point or is there another measurment I need.
It's slightly rounded, but I don't know the process for doing this or what the exact measurement would be.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

bdill wrote:Is there any way I could get the dimensions for those pins? I'll be buying this mold here soon and I would like to be able to hunt with this bullet. Or if I need to send the mold and pins to yondering then I could do that when I get it if of course he doesn't mind.
I can certainly shape a set of pins for you if you want.

I made the pins from bar stock from bangbangping, but if you're buying the mold, go ahead and order a set of blank pins, it will be easier and faster to modify those. You can't do this with NOE's deep hollow point pin, the cavity is too narrow at the nose.

The tip isn't quite to a needle point; I mark the tip at the .050" diameter point and cut a 45* angle on the tip at that spot.
Rooter pig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rooter pig »

Very interesting. Are you guys getting any nose damage when chambering one of these bigger cavity hollow points? If you have done any ramp work will you please post a pic? Thank you sirs.
az-jim

Post by az-jim »

Rooter pig wrote:Very interesting. Are you guys getting any nose damage when chambering one of these bigger cavity hollow points? If you have done any ramp work will you please post a pic? Thank you sirs.
Agree, details would be helpfull
We need to stop asking "How stupid can you be?" Too many people see it as a challenge

NRA Life Member
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Since the hp 247 mold is out of stock is there a good alternative hp mold that could be used in hunting for subsonics that will feed in an ar? I have been looking at the ranch dog molds and they look promising but can't find info on if they feed in an ar or could the non hp 247 mold be used and expand the right alloy?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Rooter pig wrote:Very interesting. Are you guys getting any nose damage when chambering one of these bigger cavity hollow points? If you have done any ramp work will you please post a pic? Thank you sirs.
Haven't tried these in an AR yet. May get around to that in the next week or two.
bdill wrote:Since the hp 247 mold is out of stock is there a good alternative hp mold that could be used in hunting for subsonics that will feed in an ar? I have been looking at the ranch dog molds and they look promising but can't find info on if they feed in an ar or could the non hp 247 mold be used and expand the right alloy?
You will not get a solid point to expand. Lots of folks have tried.

PM sent.