What type of the powder by the pound is best?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

KenH

Re: What type of the powder by the pound is best?

Post by KenH »

I've not used the Hi-Tek, but do use powder coating which I like a LOTS. I've been using Smoke's clear (just like the looks of lead bullets) and it's MUCH better (coats better with tumbling w/BB's) than is Harbor Freight Red PC.

PC'ing is easy to do, fast work works good.

Ken H>
meadmkr

Post by meadmkr »

+1 on the recommendation for the powders from Smoke on CB. In particular I like the JD Green & Carolina Blue

While I do have an ES gun for coating I tend to tumble in tupperware. I've found the "wet durable black & blue" from PBTP to be good for the tumble method.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I use TGIC polyester that is baked at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on batch size. A normal batch is 15-20 pounds. That powder will not stack on the bullets so no matter how much powder you use it only adds about .001" .

Look up TWO 6001 for the powder I use most.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

meadmkr wrote:+1 on the recommendation for the powders from Smoke on CB. In particular I like the JD Green & Carolina Blue
+2
<----Carolina Blue
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I use TGIC polyester that is baked at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on batch size. A normal batch is 15-20 pounds. That powder will not stack on the bullets so no matter how much powder you use it only adds about .001" .

Hey, old friend, it's been a couple years since we've talked. Which supplier are you ordering that from? I am about due for an order soon.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

GunFunZS wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I use TGIC polyester that is baked at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on batch size. A normal batch is 15-20 pounds. That powder will not stack on the bullets so no matter how much powder you use it only adds about .001" .

Hey, old friend, it's been a couple years since we've talked. Which supplier are you ordering that from? I am about due for an order soon.
Powder Buy The Pound.

Here is a list of powders that are like I use. I use RAL 6001 but any of these colors will work as good.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/cart. ... &viewAll=1
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I get my powder here: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/resour ... estion/70/

HUGE selection of powder, and very reasonable prices.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
GunFunZS wrote:

Powder Buy The Pound.

Here is a list of powders that are like I use. I use RAL 6001 but any of these colors will work as good.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/cart. ... &viewAll=1
Oh. Me too. I've had good luck with Steel Blue, another blue, Fir green, and a 300* two tone green flake polyester. If anyone cares, I can go find the packaging and pull the RAL codes from those. I did see they still have Steele Blue, but someone commented on my youtube vid about powder coating that they couldn't find the other blue anymore.

I basically want the thinnest uniform coat which has a high surface tension flow factor. I think the thicker the coating, the greater the potential for inconsistency and also bullets sticking together or getting marks from the baking rack, etc.

The ones which look like [creamy nail polish or 1950s car paint colors] seem to have the worst attributes for having a thick and un-uniform layer of coating, which means worst tolerances, and the possibility that after sizing the mass of the bullet could be eccentric. HF stuff is garbage too, it's lumpy, crusty and all the bullets are far more prone to sticking. I just don't see why people fight these stupid powders when good stuff is so inexpensive.