Post by TreeTopFlier »

Nice job!
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Feed ramp fix for blunt bullets.

Post by bangbangping »

Luis_R. wrote:This may sound a little difficult, but if you pull the pin on the barrel extension (this is probably the hardest part cause it's so small) you can remove the extension and then but a new one on. I haven't looked recently, but Brownell's used to carry them and they are not too expensive.
It is much more difficult than it sounds, and pulling the pin isn't the hard part. If you get a new extension to line up properly and with the correct headspace, run, don't walk, to your nearest lottery retailer.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

bangbangping wrote:
Luis_R. wrote:This may sound a little difficult, but if you pull the pin on the barrel extension (this is probably the hardest part cause it's so small) you can remove the extension and then but a new one on. I haven't looked recently, but Brownell's used to carry them and they are not too expensive.
It is much more difficult than it sounds, and pulling the pin isn't the hard part. If you get a new extension to line up properly and with the correct headspace, run, don't walk, to your nearest lottery retailer.
hmmmm that's good to know as well. I may just sell it off for someone else to do that work with it :)
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Here are some modified feed ramps for blunt bullets. Different cartridge, kind of a big brother to the 300 Blk, but same concept. Keep the height of the ramps the same, but widen them. The uppers are not modified, both are supposedly "M4 ramps", but two different brands.

Both of these feed flat nose and hollow point 35 cal bullets flawlessly; the hollow point nose is nearly a quarter inch, at .240", and the flat nose is .215" wide. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a smaller 30 cal bullet to feed.

BubbaJon
Silent But Deadly

Post by BubbaJon »

bangbangping wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:Glad it worked out! I ruined a barrel by accidentally lowering feed ramps on while trying to widen them. now Bullets fall short of going into the chamber and just jam on the metal below the hole :(
Dremel? That thing is evil. OP's looks like it worked fine, but I wouldn't touch a firearm with one. Files and or sandpaper when I need to remove metal.
They can be for sure - I've certainly ruined a few things when they grab and go awry.
I'm sure it's a skill thing but I'd rather not on a pricey barrel.
Looks like the OP did a good job on his.
But.... one of the wise fellers on CastBoolits said once "if it looks like a bullet - shoot it".
I've found that at the velocities the 300 BLK can attain aerodynamics don't matter as much.
A 110 grain bullet can get as high as 2300 fps. Subsonic is - well, subsonic.
No small surface blem is going to affect bullet flight.
FWIW mine has exactly the same divots. It only bugs the little OCD I have about these things.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

This is Rooter pig's picture, posting for him:

Rooter pig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rooter pig »

Thanks yondering. It was beating heck out of the ogive and meplat before, but now smooth sailing.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

yondering wrote:Here are some modified feed ramps for blunt bullets. Different cartridge, kind of a big brother to the 300 Blk, but same concept. Keep the height of the ramps the same, but widen them. The uppers are not modified, both are supposedly "M4 ramps", but two different brands.

Both of these feed flat nose and hollow point 35 cal bullets flawlessly; the hollow point nose is nearly a quarter inch, at .240", and the flat nose is .215" wide. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a smaller 30 cal bullet to feed.

Mmm .35cal ar15 thats different. You can't just tell half a story.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Walkers Bay wrote:

Mmm .35cal ar15 thats different. You can't just tell half a story.
More info here, at some point I'll update it with more.
A bigger mousetrap - 358 Herrett AR