VW beetles have HUGE lead bars-not kidding either!!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

NEPAKAZ

VW beetles have HUGE lead bars-not kidding either!!!

Post by NEPAKAZ »

So this is a new QUALITY source of cheap or free lead for me and you.. I will be going to the you pull it yard to grab more of these VW lead ingots.
I buy junk cars, always remove wheel weights for casting and dismantle the rest for selling on ebay.
My neighbor sold me a 2001 VW Beetle and after I removed the engine/trans I was working on the wiper motor area, there was a black metal cover I had to remove to get the wiper system parts out, but once it was removed I unbolted 2 aprox 12" bars of semi hard lead. Both stamped with VW and are some sort of damper for the windshield I am guessing or for rattle prevention.
I wish I took some pictures, but didn't. So if you are at a junkyard, need some bulk lead and don't mind removing the cover that hides the wiper system, then you will get some pretty nice lead bars. A lot harder than wheel weight lead but not quite as hard as lino.
Next trip to the you pull it yard I will see if I can get some pictures to post.
They are bolted under the wiper cowl,under windshield area. Look for a black metal cover. If your lucky to find one with the engine already removed go for that one first, a lot easier. I still am in disbelief. I dismantled cars for over 15yrs and this was a first ever to find that much lead already in a bar form just screaming "make me into boolits!

I was able to cast 446 Lee 160gn 30cal and 72 Lee 230gn 30cal for my 300Blk from just these 2 bars.
Last edited by NEPAKAZ on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Re: VW beetles have HUGE lead bars-not kidding either!!!

Post by BlackLight »

Good intel for SHTF :shock:
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

Cool! Great info there!
ga41

Post by ga41 »

thanks for the tip !
NRA Benefactor Member
destrux
Silent Operator

Post by destrux »

Any photos of the bars?
Wickedwrx

Post by Wickedwrx »

Subbed for pics
Jbremount
Silent Operator

Post by Jbremount »

FWIK, In my Area, You will probably not find many VW New beetles in the junkyards. Most of the time the entire care is sold/bought to be salvaged for parts by a local garage that deal in foreign cars. The New beetles have so many problem parts, that is cost effective for the local garage to buy an entire wrecked car at auction.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

Wait , the VWs of my youth had the motor in the back . Do the new VWs have them up front ?
Trying to figure out how having the engine out makes the wipers easier to get to .
Chris