This cast bullet manufacturer does not like coatings . . . .

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

ratas calientes
Silent Operator

This cast bullet manufacturer does not like coatings . . . .

Post by ratas calientes »

Pretty new fella here . . . . . just got my 300 Blk SBR with suppressor up and running. Ran my first reloads through it a few weeks ago.

That said, and wanting to enjoy shooting and save on plinking ammo, I have been reading up on the latest powder and related coatings used on cast bullets. I would like to run cast through my suppressor, and save money in the process, as long as I didn't have to worry about lead build-up. Then I found this supplier. They don't like bullet coatings. Your opinions?

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/

Thanks.
NRA Life Member
ASME
BSA
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: This cast bullet manufacturer does not like coatings . . . .

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Hey there Hot Rat, Good to see you again!!!

IIRC the folks playing with the powder coatings on castboolits have kept very good records or barrel ware and round counts. To my knowledge there was only one color that showed signs of excessive barrel ware. Sorry I cannot remember what color that was. (may have been grey or flat black)

Hope you are enjoying the 300blk fever.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

He is entitled to his opinion. But the only powder coat that is of questionable use is the harbor freight flat black. Yet guys have been using it with no problems. As far as I know only two people have had barrel wear that might, I emphasize might, be attributed to the flat black. One is a guy that was on castbullets.com. he had a Glock after market barrel that he had around 2000 of the flat black powder coating. But he also had a total of over 10,000 rounds thru the barrel.

The other one was me, how ever I think I got a defective barrel from the manufacturer. This was a black hole weaponry 300 blk barrel with 4000 total rounds thru it and almost all of them subsonic. And less then 700 were with the flat black.

Just stay away from the flat black, and no other problems have showed up.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dardascastbullets wrote:We will not be participating in this current fad as we will not be responsible for ruined barrels and trigger groups.
Ruined trigger groups?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote:
dardascastbullets wrote:We will not be participating in this current fad as we will not be responsible for ruined barrels and trigger groups.
Ruined trigger groups?

yeah I am not understanding that either, but if you are going to make a big statement about something might as well go all in, even if it is not applicable to the subject.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

From brief research is looks like barium sulphate is used primarily as a brightener in white coatings. I just sent an email to PBTP to ask which colors do/do not contain it. Personally, I'm not worried about it, but if some colors don't contain it, then nobody has to.
ThreeHundredTraveler
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredTraveler »

I read the Darda statement like this. Holy crap some idiot found a way to add too much cost to a cast bullet. Darned if we will spend an extra penny to give you what you want.
ratas calientes
Silent Operator

Post by ratas calientes »

Thanks for the happy greeting L1A1, and thanks to all for the input. I'll tryout powder coated bullets and see how they work.
NRA Life Member
ASME
BSA
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Skip the PC and go straight for HiTek if shooting subs. 10 min to coat 4-500, dry overnite, 15 min in the oven, repeat 2 more times. Bout an hour total work time. I just got the 1035 gold to try @ 1900 fps, no results yet. I do get 1/2 MOA with PCd 145 gr plain base @ 1750 fps.
Pyrofx

Post by Pyrofx »

I'll second the hightec coatings. I have coated and shot a few 1000. The stuf is slippery as shit if you get the better catalyst.
I used the red. It has a bit more solids in it.

And yes.....
5 minutes to coat
10 minutes to dry
12 minutes to bake
Repeat 1 or 2 times for desired results.

Just ask your supplier for un lubed bullets.

Oh, and you might have heard of the guys brother. Jerry Micleck

http://www.bayoubullets.net/hi-tek-heat ... -by-phone/

Greg