Lee C312-155-2R

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

natchomamma

Re: Lee C312-155-2R

Post by natchomamma »

I have started to powdercoat and mine look similar to the pics in this thread. i.e. some are not smooth and not a consistent coat.

Is this an issue? How much would this effect accuracy?

Thanks.
oldpapps
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldpapps »

natchomamma,
"Is this an issue? How much would this effect accuracy?"

Short answer is NO and NO.

I use the 'shake n bake' method and with color pigmented powders will have 'thin' spots in the color. But on close examination, the polyester is coating well, just not the pigment. My answer to this is I now use PBTP Clear and only spice it up a little from time to time by tossing in a little of the other powders I have used, neon pink, neon green. This gives a full coating with a light marbling of a trace of color.

I also size, LEE push through, both before and after powder coating (it makes me feel better but is totally not needed the first go a round), .311. As my bullet mold has no gas check heel, I don't, didn't want to anyway, put on a gas check.

I have pushed this cast/powder coated bullet to well over 2700 FPS (.308/7.62 NATO) with no leading. Further, I have found that my best accuracy is achieved at lower velocities. My current preferred loading for the 300 Blackout is running 1959 FPS, 15.1 grains of 2400 under my 130 cut down bullets. The 2400 burns clean, nothing left in the barrel and quite accurate for me.

Summing up, an inconsistent coating that has been sized should not be detrimental to accuracy. Just find the combination that your weapon likes the best.

Load with care,

OSOK
natchomamma

Post by natchomamma »

oldpapps wrote:natchomamma,
"Is this an issue? How much would this effect accuracy?"

Short answer is NO and NO.

I use the 'shake n bake' method and with color pigmented powders will have 'thin' spots in the color. But on close examination, the polyester is coating well, just not the pigment. My answer to this is I now use PBTP Clear and only spice it up a little from time to time by tossing in a little of the other powders I have used, neon pink, neon green. This gives a full coating with a light marbling of a trace of color.

I also size, LEE push through, both before and after powder coating (it makes me feel better but is totally not needed the first go a round), .311. As my bullet mold has no gas check heel, I don't, didn't want to anyway, put on a gas check.

I have pushed this cast/powder coated bullet to well over 2700 FPS (.308/7.62 NATO) with no leading. Further, I have found that my best accuracy is achieved at lower velocities. My current preferred loading for the 300 Blackout is running 1959 FPS, 15.1 grains of 2400 under my 130 cut down bullets. The 2400 burns clean, nothing left in the barrel and quite accurate for me.

Summing up, an inconsistent coating that has been sized should not be detrimental to accuracy. Just find the combination that your weapon likes the best.

Load with care,

OSOK

Awesome! Thanks.
destrux
Silent Operator

Post by destrux »

BubbaJon wrote:Anybody actually shot a critter with a PC boolit?
It would seem that it would not expand any.
The PC is only polyester. It's tough but not hard like a copper jacket. It behaves pretty much like a bare lead bullet but slightly slicker.
Jbremount
Silent Operator

Post by Jbremount »

Have anyone PC coated only the driving bands/portion of the bullet covered by the 300 blackout 's brass cartridge, and not the nose of the bullet? I was thinking of trying this as the powder coating sometimes adds enough thickness to cause the bullet to not chamber and maybe the unaltered lead nose of the bullet will help with the expansion.
BubbaJon
Silent But Deadly

Post by BubbaJon »

destrux wrote:
The PC is only polyester. It's tough but not hard like a copper jacket. It behaves pretty much like a bare lead bullet but slightly slicker.
What got me thinking is you whack one of these with a hammer and it deforms but that polymer is still one piece!
Maybe in a thinner coat.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Powder coating will NOT affect a cast bullet's performance negatively. I have shot a lot of PCd bullets into various mediums and they act just like an uncoated bullet.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!