Crayola of Death innaccuracy theory

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

attila.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Crayola of Death innaccuracy theory

Post by attila. »

Any updates on these round nose experimentals?
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

excess650 wrote:I DID find that I have a top punch compatible with the "black tips". Next will be to load 'em and see how well they look after cycling and on paper.

edit: I made up 5 dummy rounds and they cycled fine without damage to the tips. I cast up a batch, so will load some (when I get a chance) and put 'em on paper.

Further, I intend to get some steel .177 BBs and try those as the nose and see if they adhere more successfully than the #2 shot.

I bought some steel .177 bb's and will try this; figure that powdercoating will help retain the bb in the tip.
Maybe a good low cost subsonic in the bolt gun (if I don't figure in what labor / time costs...)
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

I've not loaded any of the black tips, and didn't get any steel BBs yet.....thinking the BBs will need cleaning, fluxing and "tinning" (rolled in solder) to enhance adhesion. Too, preheating the BBs should help immensely.
Black Rifles Matter
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

I loaded and shot a few of the "black tips". Some of the tips came loose while lube & sizing, and others during after seating bullets. This was enough evidence for me to feel uncomfortable running them through my AR on a regular basis. I would not like having a lead BB floating around int he action, and a steel one would be even worse. I'm going to punt.....these could be fine in a bolt or singleshot.
Black Rifles Matter
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

I loaded up a few more COD w/ GC & Tumble lube this weekend.
Velocities were a bit higher than I intended to go, (~2,100 fps), but they certainly do stabilize well.
The testing was done in a 1:7 16" LMT barrel and the faster twist definitely make a difference.
My 1:8 10" Noveske typically does 4" @ 100 yards with the COD, and the 1:7 16" LMT was about 6" @ 100 yards.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Are you guys using them after they have sat for a while?

Lead will become harder over time and maybe that could be the key.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Are you guys using them after they have sat for a while?

Lead will become harder over time and maybe that could be the key.
Yes...
I cast these about 4-5 months ago.

I do not have any issues with them bending or deforming at all.
In fact I don't even have to use the fancy tip protector that Sweede shipped with the moulds when seating them with my Forster Ultra die.
--Mark Twain
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

Mine are/were water dropped and aged, so hardness wasn't an issue.

Further casting with #2 shot was less successful, and some became loose when lube and sizing and others while seating bullets. It occurred to me that while a lead #2 coming loose in a cycling action might only tie up the gun, a steel BB might cause a broken bolt or extractor. In a manually operated gun these might be worth experimenting with, but I'm no longer interested enough to risk my AR.
Black Rifles Matter
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Interesting update...

I had about 50 tumble lubed Gas Checked COD boolits sitting on my shelf just collecting dust.
So, during my last 300 BLK loading session I decided to load them up.
Figured that they would be good for plinking loads when friends or family stop by and want to get some trigger time at my house.
Well, we had a Father's day feast at my house yesterday and my Wife's family was up from Florida and wanted to play.
Out comes my 300 BLK and I grabbed some 200 grain cast subs and the 129 grain COD supersonic loads.

We walked to the 50 yard line in my back yard and proceeded to bang on some steel.
The subs of course always bring the expected giggle from guests and then it was time to shoot some COD supers.
At 50 yards, banging the steel got old quick and all shots were surprisingly accurate.
Then, one of my guests asks if he can toss a tennis ball down rage to use as a target.
I didn't have any issue with that, so we proceeded to chase the tennis ball around with my 300 BLK.
Incredibly, we had no problem hitting that damn ball.

FWIW,
I'm not having any accuracy issues with my rifle with this loading.
Here is my 300 BLK Setup:
Noveske 1:8, GEN 1, 10" barrel
TBAC 30P-1 Suppressor

COD Load:
Rem 300 BLK Headstamped Brass
Federal 205M Primer
16.1 Grains of N110 (This is a full grain less than my pervious test)
COD Boolit seated so that the groove is just below the case mouth (Will post actual COAL when I get a chance.)
Lee FCD is used with just enough crimp to remove the case mouth belling.

COD Boolit Config:
Alloy = Straight Wheel Weights
Boolit Mould = NOE 311 129Gr. PT 4 cavity 2GC 2PB
Tested Boolits are tumble lubed, gas checked, and sized to .309".
*NOTE*
Tested COD boolits were cast and prepped over six months ago, but just loaded this past week.

After all the negative test results that folks were posting, I wasn't in any hurry to spend time testing my stuff out.
This is a pleasant surprise.
As soon as I get my PC stuff in, I have about 100 PB COD boolits that were cast at the same time that need to be coated.
It should be interesting to see how they work.

The COD boolits is a cool design and I'm glad that I'm seeing some success with it.
Now I just have to see if I can repeat that success.
I'm curious to see what differences I will see between, PC PB boolits vs GC tumble lubed ones and also to see if newly cast boolits will perform the same.
(Age hardening is certainly in effect.)
--Mark Twain
Rushthezeppelin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rushthezeppelin »

Dr.Phil wrote:Interesting update...

I had about 50 tumble lubed Gas Checked COD boolits sitting on my shelf just collecting dust.
So, during my last 300 BLK loading session I decided to load them up.
Figured that they would be good for plinking loads when friends or family stop by and want to get some trigger time at my house.
Well, we had a Father's day feast at my house yesterday and my Wife's family was up from Florida and wanted to play.
Out comes my 300 BLK and I grabbed some 200 grain cast subs and the 129 grain COD supersonic loads.

We walked to the 50 yard line in my back yard and proceeded to bang on some steel.
The subs of course always bring the expected giggle from guests and then it was time to shoot some COD supers.
At 50 yards, banging the steel got old quick and all shots were surprisingly accurate.
Then, one of my guests asks if he can toss a tennis ball down rage to use as a target.
I didn't have any issue with that, so we proceeded to chase the tennis ball around with my 300 BLK.
Incredibly, we had no problem hitting that damn ball.

FWIW,
I'm not having any accuracy issues with my rifle with this loading.
Here is my 300 BLK Setup:
Noveske 1:8, GEN 1, 10" barrel
TBAC 30P-1 Suppressor

COD Load:
Rem 300 BLK Headstamped Brass
Federal 205M Primer
16.1 Grains of N110 (This is a full grain less than my pervious test)
COD Boolit seated so that the groove is just below the case mouth (Will post actual COAL when I get a chance.)
Lee FCD is used with just enough crimp to remove the case mouth belling.

COD Boolit Config:
Alloy = Straight Wheel Weights
Boolit Mould = NOE 311 129Gr. PT 4 cavity 2GC 2PB
Tested Boolits are tumble lubed, gas checked, and sized to .309".
*NOTE*
Tested COD boolits were cast and prepped over six months ago, but just loaded this past week.

After all the negative test results that folks were posting, I wasn't in any hurry to spend time testing my stuff out.
This is a pleasant surprise.
As soon as I get my PC stuff in, I have about 100 PB COD boolits that were cast at the same time that need to be coated.
It should be interesting to see how they work.

The COD boolits is a cool design and I'm glad that I'm seeing some success with it.
Now I just have to see if I can repeat that success.
I'm curious to see what differences I will see between, PC PB boolits vs GC tumble lubed ones and also to see if newly cast boolits will perform the same.
(Age hardening is certainly in effect.)
Are you shooting non-coated lead out of a non-serviceable can? Stop that, you will get lead deposits with just regular lubed bullets.