Crayola of Death innaccuracy theory

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Crayola of Death innaccuracy theory

Post by dellet »

After having Dr.Phil bring this back up, it's been rattling around in the space between my ears to give these a try as a super for the last couple weeks.

So yesterday, as I was cleaning my bench, (it looked like a munitions truck had tipped over on it) and picked up a few loose COD bullets. Matched those to some miscellaneous, brass that had been primed and culled for some unremembered reason, and loaded them up.

Results weren't all that bad based on what I had heard, and considering I was using brass and bullets I had previously rejected. Four shots and I could just touch the inside edge of all the holes with a quarter at 50 yards. Much better than I started with as a sub, so I am hopeful.

The question is about velocity, leading and or deforming the bullets. I am running these with only Alox and 4227. These are not gas checked, so was worried about deforming the base and bearing surface. Are there speeds and pressures to stay under?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Without gas checks or powder coating, velocities should be kept below 1,400 fps.
With a gas check or PC, you can push them until you see signs of leading.

If you are looking for PSI, thresholds, they are out there, but I figured more people have chronographs than CUP PSI gauges...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dr.Phil wrote:Without gas checks or powder coating, velocities should be kept below 1,400 fps.

If you are looking for PSI, thresholds, they are out there, but I figured more people have chronographs than CUP PSI gauges...
Thanks Dr. I was mostly thinking about trying powders that would have a lower peak pressure and see if that made a difference.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Dr.Phil wrote:Without gas checks or powder coating, velocities should be kept below 1,400 fps.
For any plain base bullet with PC in an AR15, you'll lose accuracy long before you see any leading, if the PC is any good. Don't go by leading alone as the velocity limitation, unless they are just for blasting.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

300 Blavkout cannot push a cast bullet fast enough for the powder coating to fail. I tested some coated billets in a 5.56. I would fire five and check for leading. If no leading I increased the charge and repeated. I was well past 3,000 fps before I had my first signs of leading.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Finally got around to testing a few of my new CODs out.

They are 100% air cooled linotype, gas checked (Crimped), sized to .309, and pan lubed with Lyman orange.
With the gas check, they weigh in at almost exactly 125 grains.
Loaded up 10 test loads with a nominal load of 17.0 grains of N110.
I didn't break out the chrono, but will next time.

Results...

~ 2 MOA @ 100 yards
No leading of the bore.
No excess smoke from the lube.
No pressure signs.
Nice round holes in paper...

I was pleasantly surprised!
That is about the best results that I expect from any cast projectile.

With the different alloy, they density and size is pretty close to the 125 SMK.
Of course, the alloy is also hard as nails, so that likely has an impact.

I sent a sample to dellet, so it will be interesting to see what his test results are.

These bullets will work well for plinking / training.
While the out of pocket expense for them is super cheap, the time involved in making them is significant.
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Good to hear that went well. I have to move those forward on the project list. I have a few loaded but no real time to shoot. First time with gas checks

The Commander in Chief has a shoot tonight with the ladies, so the last couple weekends were not exactly mine to play. :oops:
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

dellet wrote:The Commander in Chief has a shoot tonight with the ladies, so the last couple weekends were not exactly mine to play. :oops:
Interesting problem to have...
Its like pulling teeth to get my Wife out in the yard shooting so that she is current enough to "repel boarders" if need be.
At this point in time, I may just make my 8 year old daughter the designated shooter and have my Wife act as her ammo bearer. :P

I was prepared to just write off the 30+ hours that I spent making all those CODs.
It was an unexpected treat to see that they will work well.
Now I have enough made up to last me though 2017. 8)
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dr.Phil wrote:
dellet wrote:The Commander in Chief has a shoot tonight with the ladies, so the last couple weekends were not exactly mine to play. :oops:
Interesting problem to have...
Its like pulling teeth to get my Wife out in the yard shooting so that she is current enough to "repel boarders" if need be.
At this point in time, I may just make my 8 year old daughter the designated shooter and have my Wife act as her ammo bearer. :P

I was prepared to just write off the 30+ hours that I spent making all those CODs.
It was an unexpected treat to see that they will work well.
Now I have enough made up to last me though 2017. 8)
It's not a bad problem to have, just glad all she wants to shoot is the Handi as far as rifles. I had no idea it was possible to go through a hundred rounds in a single shot in a couple hours. She quits either when the ammo box is empty or the thumb is too tired from cocking the hammer. If she ever commandeers the SBR, I will likely be locked in loading room, dressed in an apron and barefoot.:shock:

They have started a new chapter of "Babes with Bullets" here. Tonight is introduction to rifle night and there a few who have never really shot anything more than a 22. She will be taking the Handi suppressed and 100 mixed rounds of 110 Varmageddon and 90 XTP's loaded over Trail Boss. She will be shooting indoors, 50 yards.

I have a feeling that she will shoot five rounds and come home with an empty ammo box. There might be a few guys later tonight 'splainin how come they never told the wife about small, light recoil rifles and suppressors :lol:
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Glad to hear that they are working well for you. I have a few molds, I might need to break them back out.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!