Crayola of Death innaccuracy theory

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

attila.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Crayola of Death innaccuracy theory

Post by attila. »

I was wondering about updates on this topic. Anything?

What brought me back to this thread is that I finally got around to casting some CODs, and figured I'd share the current status of this batch:

I got the mold in the .311" variety, and with powdercoating, they are a bit fat. Also, since they are water-quenched 2% Sn, 2% Sb, 96% Pb, and minimal As, they are heavy at around 133 grains apiece.

Once I get a new .309" boolit sizing die, I'll size and load them. Like others here, I don't expect astounding accuracy, so I'm hoping to get it decent enough for plinking.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

My GC Lino CODs weighed right at 125 grains. (Using traditional pan lube.)
I was able to push them to about 2,350 fps.
The velocity that I settled on was about 1,950 fps, using N110.
It functions perfectly for me and maintains 2 - 4 MOA.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

attila, I believe you're missing Manatee and Jazzberry Jam. :lol:
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Dr.Phil wrote:My GC Lino CODs weighed right at 125 grains. (Using traditional pan lube.)
I was able to push them to about 2,350 fps.
The velocity that I settled on was about 1,950 fps, using N110.
It functions perfectly for me and maintains 2 - 4 MOA.
In my reading about casting, I have found that alloys with far less Sb and Sn but with some As can be hardened considerably by quenching or heat treating, so since I don't have a convection oven, I chose that quenching route. Keeping the alloy at 96% Pb also keeps it more cost effective since my Pb was almost free and Sb/Sn are expensive. I have another higher alloyed 5% Sb, 3% Sn if the current one fails.

What barrel length was this with, 16" or 10"? Was that 1,950 fps at 17.0 gr of N110?
I was leaning towards a moderate loading with lil-gun or H110 out of a PWS 10.5" barrel. Since I get about 2150-2200 fps for 110 gr jacketed loads, I figured these 130 gr boolits would be plenty fast somewhere around the fps range you settled depending on accuracy.
bangbangping wrote:attila, I believe you're missing Manatee and Jazzberry Jam. :lol:
You're quite right. I purchased 9 colors of powdercoat and figured various colors were appropriate for these CODs. I was even playing with the idea of digging up an old crayola box to put my finished loads in. :lol:
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

attila. wrote:I was even playing with the idea of digging up an old crayola box to put my finished loads in. :lol:
That would be hilarious to take to a public range. Might need a spacer in the bottom, because a Crayola has a COAL of 3.625".
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

attila. wrote:I was wondering about updates on this topic. Anything?

What brought me back to this thread is that I finally got around to casting some CODs, and figured I'd share the current status of this batch:

I got the mold in the .311" variety, and with powdercoating, they are a bit fat. Also, since they are water-quenched 2% Sn, 2% Sb, 96% Pb, and minimal As, they are heavy at around 133 grains apiece.

Once I get a new .309" boolit sizing die, I'll size and load them. Like others here, I don't expect astounding accuracy, so I'm hoping to get it decent enough for plinking.

Look forward to your results, I have some Dr Phil sent that I need to get loaded. A little inspiration helps.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

dellet wrote: Look forward to your results, I have some Dr Phil sent that I need to get loaded. A little inspiration helps.
As I look forward to yours with Dr. Phil's linotype CODs.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

attila. wrote:What barrel length was this with, 16" or 10"? Was that 1,950 fps at 17.0 gr of N110?
I was leaning towards a moderate loading with lil-gun or H110 out of a PWS 10.5" barrel. Since I get about 2150-2200 fps for 110 gr jacketed loads, I figured these 130 gr boolits would be plenty fast somewhere around the fps range you settled depending on accuracy.
I'm running a 10" Noveske barrel.
I would recommend a moderate loading.
The faster you go, accuracy suffers.
The 1,950 fps was with 16.0 grains of N110.
17.0 grains got me to 2,300 fps.

Good Luck!
Please let us know how things work out for you.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain