NOE remake of Lyman 311414

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

yondering
Silent But Deadly

Re: NOE remake of Lyman 311414

Post by yondering »

Several things to try. Size larger, and/or heat treat them to make them harder. I bet you can size to at least .310", maybe .311", without making the loaded round too large for the chamber neck. Play with seating depth, of course. As we all know, every rifle is a little different in what it shoots well; this goes doubly so for cast bullets.
Michael J. Spangler

Re: NOE remake of Lyman 311414

Post by Michael J. Spangler »

Hi guys and gals. I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead.
I recently started with 300 blackout and have had some luck with the lee 312-155r this weekend.
Cast from 2/3/95 alloy. Water dropped. Checked and lubed with carnauba red.
The shot about 2.5" at 100 yards with zero load development. I was just putting together some ammo to test for function and shoot some paper.
I normally hi-tek coat all of my bullets. My next test will be with some slightly harder alloy (water dropping after hi-tek reportedly doesn't yield as high a hardness) hi-tek coated. 1/2 with checks and 1/2 without to see if I can mass produce ammo without gas checks.
Has anyone had any side by side comparisons accuracy wise with the Lee and the NOE?
Seems like there is a ton of good info on this forum. Thank you all for contributing.
Mike