Powder coating issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

DiveR
Silent Operator

Powder coating issues

Post by DiveR »

Ok 1st go at it n my bullets have a serious scar in them from where I let them dry on the basket I made for them for in the toaster oven. How do I stop this n they will also not except gas checks. Am trying reheating them to see if I can fix the problem but any help will be good. I used galvanized gutter Gaurd for the basket
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powder coating issues

Post by Overton-AR »

I suspect the galvanized metal has enough "texture" to it that the PC is sticking
to the surface. I have some baskets made from aluminum screen but I am looking
for something better.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

I used the hardware cloth that Dolomite suggested and haven't experienced that issue.

If you going to size after coating, install the gas checks first. If it were me, I would try running them without checks and see what kind of accuracy your able to obtain. If your getting a complete coat, you don't need the checks to prevent leading...
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

are you wet or dry tumbling?

I had that problem as well as many others trying to wet tumble them. With dry tumbling not so much.

What i do is after I take them out of the oven, I let them cool for not even a minute and then dump them into another mesh tray.

i am using the 1/4 inch fencing mesh, if that helps
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Line the basket with aluminum foil, the non-stick version. I have not used a gas check on any powder coated cast bullet.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Have you tried setting the gas check on the ram then setting the bullet on the gas check? The resistance of resizing the bullet should seat the gas check before the gas check makes it to the sizing die.

As far as the lines left by the screen it will not affect performance.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
DiveR
Silent Operator

Post by DiveR »

Thanks guys am trying foil now n then baking paper to see if I can eliminate it short of that will make a jig to sit them on. Gas checks working now only a few where the scar is on the base that won't take them. Wet tumble is the meathod I'm using
DiveR
Silent Operator

Post by DiveR »

Thanks guys am trying foil now n then baking paper to see if I can eliminate it short of that will make a jig to sit them on. Gas checks working now only a few where the scar is on the base that won't take them. Wet tumble is the meathod I'm using