Let's see those powdercoating setups

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Let's see those powdercoating setups

Post by caliplt »

I received my HF kit today and am now just waiting on my compressor and oven. In awful anticipation, I would like you guys to post some pictures of your setup/techniques. How do you coat your bullets?
Ken73
Silent Operator

Re: Let's see those powdercoating setups

Post by Ken73 »

You asked for it..

Some users have said this system doesn't work well. I have this and the HF unit and actually prefer this because it's light and simple to use. I haven't had the issues others have, not sure why.
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

Thanks for sharing! What do you use as a bullet holder?
Ken73
Silent Operator

Post by Ken73 »

The tray inside the toaster oven, with nuts (I originally used gas checks) covered with non-stick aluminum foil.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

For powder coating bullets I use a plastic container, a piece of brass screen, and a toaster oven. That's it.
glennhmd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by glennhmd »

Ken73 wrote:You asked for it..

Some users have said this system doesn't work well. I have this and the HF unit and actually prefer this because it's light and simple to use. I haven't had the issues others have, not sure why.
I'm interested in getting this craftsman set-up not only for powdercoating bullets but for small odd painting jobs. would powder from Harbor Freight or Powder buy the pound work on this? any foreseeable problems with these two powders?
Ken73
Silent Operator

Post by Ken73 »

glennhmd wrote: I'm interested in getting this craftsman set-up not only for powdercoating bullets but for small odd painting jobs. would powder from Harbor Freight or Powder buy the pound work on this? any foreseeable problems with these two powders?
Powder is pretty much powder as far as the gun is concerned. As long as its dry, it doesn't care. As I mentioned, others have reported problems with it but I didn't have any that I didn't already have with the HF setup. Keep the powder dry and learn to vary the trigger.

BTW it's sold under other names, it's a generic made-in-china product, Sears just slapped their name on it and marked it up by about $150. Look on ebay and you can find them for around $65.