PC 155's still need gas checks?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

caliplt
Silent But Deadly

PC 155's still need gas checks?

Post by caliplt »

Do powdercoated Lee 155's still need gas checks?
boost
Silent But Deadly

Re: PC 155's still need gas checks?

Post by boost »

caliplt wrote:Do powdercoated Lee 155's still need gas checks?
Some here have had better results than I. That's why I got the NOE and HM2 plain base version.

Try some and report back...
Last edited by boost on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEMI - SILENT
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

So is that a yes or a no?
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

You wont know until you try it both ways. A lot depends on what distances your going to shoot too. At 7-10 yards, there likely wont be much difference. At 50, it might be a huge difference.
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

IMO, yes. The gas check prevents gas cutting as it passes the gas port. Probably fine without for lower pressure loads, but more necessary as the pressure goes up.
I'm running mine over 16gr LilGun, same as my 125gr jacketed bullets. (Velocity is close to the same as well; the slicker powder coated bullet can be pushed faster than a similar weight jacketed bullet.)
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

Sorry I didn't clarify. I'm my opinion, gas check is still needed for the 155's even when pc'd. Lube not required . Pc'd 155's without gas checks=testing at 50yds benched with just a dot, was just a scattered group at about 12" or more. That was the first time my target frame ever got hit BTW. If I remember I was only pushing them at about 1500fps. Maybe my alloy was too hard? Maybe 1:8 twist is too fast ? powder choice? ..... Just by looking at the boolit without a gas check, there's just not enough bearing area. Well, that's my conclusion....

If I had to use a gas check, I won't powder coat. I'm still good to go with lube & gas check , if for some reason I can't use my plain base.

You may have better luck than I. Load some ,test, and let us know the outcome. 8)
SEMI - SILENT
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

Wilco, thanks.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

boost wrote:Sorry I didn't clarify. I'm my opinion, gas check is still needed for the 155's even when pc'd. Lube not required . Pc'd 155's without gas checks=testing at 50yds benched with just a dot, was just a scattered group at about 12" or more. That was the first time my target frame ever got hit BTW. If I remember I was only pushing them at about 1500fps. Maybe my alloy was too hard? Maybe 1:8 twist is too fast ? powder choice? ..... Just by looking at the boolit without a gas check, there's just not enough bearing area. Well, that's my conclusion....

If I had to use a gas check, I won't powder coat. I'm still good to go with lube & gas check , if for some reason I can't use my plain base.

You may have better luck than I. Load some ,test, and let us know the outcome. 8)
Mine is a 1:8 twist too. I'm sure a shallower twist would work better for these. I doubt your alloy is too hard, but maybe your bullets were too small? If the bullet is at least .001" or more larger than the bore, you can make it as hard as you want. Mine are just wheel weight alloy though, and soft after powder coating.

Mine shoot OK (not great) without checks, but do leave lead in the bore near the muzzle. I'm pushing them to ~1850 fps from my 9" barrel.

I still recommend powder coating when using gas checks; it's a lot easier to make a PC/GC bullet shoot well without leading than a lubed/GC bullet, in my experience. I'm also running these in full power 308 loads through my PTR91; can't do that with the same bullet lubed/GC without some leading.
Jailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jailer »

Didn't have much luck accuracy wise running without gas checks.

Gas checks rounds showed promise both with accuracy and velocity.

This was from my savage bolt gun.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

A shallower twist does work better. I have shot them in 10 twist guns and the groups were substantially smaller than with my 8 twist guns.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!