HM2 312-155-2 (Lee copy)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

boost
Silent But Deadly

HM2 312-155-2 (Lee copy)

Post by boost »

This is a Heavy Metal Mold 6 cavity copy of the LEE C312-155-2R. This was from a group buy.

http://heavymetalmolds.com

This is a plain base version. At first, I found this mold to be too small to squeeze in 6 cavities. But being light weight makes it easier to cast.

The Lee two cavities just isn't cutting it . Powder Coating eliminates the needs of gas checks for me. .......... . The 155's loaded to "mouse fart" levels is just plain fun to shoot up to 100yds. Pushing them @ 1100-2000 fps still past minor PF in USPSA.

SEMI - SILENT
bmiller

Re: HM2 312-155-2 (Lee copy)

Post by bmiller »

How fast have you shot them without leading? Are you powdercoating or using hi-tek products? How is your accuracy at higher velocity?
Thanks
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

I havent tested boolits from this mold yet. But I have with the 2 cavity LEE that I converted to a plain base. Haven't took the time to do accuracy testing(not sure if i ever will),but at the end of a match with left over ammo, i was able to do a 10 shot 1.5" group @ 40yds rested on the tailgate of my truck. That's with zero magnification, no cherry picking of boolit weight, mixed brass , loaded from a progressive,and keratoconus . That alone tells me that there's room to tighten up the grouping. I've pushed them up to 1904fps and stopped there when slight pressure sign started to show. It looked like Lil'Gun had much more room to go . I'm powder coating all my 300BLK boolits. Zero leading during load testings no matter how fast I push them. BUT that's not how I test for leading. I like to do 2 or 3 30rd mag dumps , or check my barrel after a match that has 80-120rds through it.
SEMI - SILENT
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Thanks! I have the Lee 155 grain mold, and I am shooting gas checked bullets. I am pleased with the results with lil gun. I hate applying gas checks and would love to shoot without. Right now the lee 230 grain bullets are giving me fits. They do everything great accept hit the target. My groups stink at 100 yards. Looking at reaming the boat tail off or buying a plain based bullet.
Ken73
Silent Operator

Post by Ken73 »

bmiller wrote: Right now the lee 230 grain bullets are giving me fits. They do everything great accept hit the target. My groups stink at 100 yards. Looking at reaming the boat tail off or buying a plain based bullet.
Are you running them powder coated? Powder coated ones tend to do a lot better than traditional lubed, Dolomite proved that in one of his posts a while back.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

I am using hi-tek coating. I discovered my problem, I am shooting suppressed and there was carbon build up on the crown. I cleaned it off and it seems to be shooting better.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

that is a nice looking boolit. perfect for powder coating
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bmiller

Re: HM2 312-155-2 (Lee copy

Post by bmiller »

Using the gas checked lee, I get great results with 16 grains of lil gun. Have not chronoed it yet. Supposed to be 1800+ in a 16" gun. Do you think that is feasible with this bullet if it is coated?
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

It really depends on the amount of shooting that you do.

If I average 150 rds or less in a month @ $.04 per gas check , I'd stick with the gas checks . Theres the cost of the PC gun , oven , and a compressor(if you dont already have). But I'm at 600+ . With 1lb of coating powder ($15 per lb ) I lost track counting after 2000 boolits. With proper technique and air pressure 1lb should get you past 4000 boolits I'm quesstimating.
SEMI - SILENT
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

With 16.5 grains of Lil'Gun I am getting 2,000 fps out of a 16" barrel using the Lee version.

I have yet to try but dry tumbling seems to be the latest powder coating rage.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!