Bullet hardness?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bullet hardness?

Post by gds »

300sub wrote:OK, thanks.

I suppose it has to be very accurately bored to the centerline in order to remove the boat tail feature. Geez, 4" at 50 yrds doesn't seem to be very accurate to begin with. I would hope for 1 1/2" at 50 yrds to start with.

It would be nice if a guy could just purchase a cost-effective mold that didn't have the boat tail to begin with, and maybe dropped at .311

How is the accuracy of the bullet you cast from the NOE 247 gr. before and after the HP mod?
I was getting 1 1/2 to 2 in 50 yd groups with the lee mold before I modified it. but it was only consistent when I added a gas check. the boolit never dropped above .307, so it was one I should have sent back before i modified it. But figured with the powder coating it would work better. it sort of did.

The NOE mold does a lot better on consistent accuracy. Can easily keep 3 shots in a 1 inch group at 50 yds and most of the time 5 shot groups. With the hollow point I have not had any measurable difference in accuracy. That buck I shot was shot right where i had the cross hairs at 50 yds.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
300sub

Post by 300sub »

Sounds like the NOE mold is a better performer right out of the gate. Did you size the bullets after casting or did you shoot them as cast? Sounds to me that if I were to purchase a Lee mold for the 230's I might have issues with accuracy due to the boat tail and slightly undersized bullets. I'll send an email to NOE to see if they make these molds per order or if I would have to wait until they make up a batch. Right now they don't have any of the 247 gr molds in stock.

Is your NOE mold aluminum? Also, do you have a temperature probe on your molds to monitor the temp?

Thanks again for the info.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

300sub wrote:Sounds like the NOE mold is a better performer right out of the gate. Did you size the bullets after casting or did you shoot them as cast? Sounds to me that if I were to purchase a Lee mold for the 230's I might have issues with accuracy due to the boat tail and slightly undersized bullets. I'll send an email to NOE to see if they make these molds per order or if I would have to wait until they make up a batch. Right now they don't have any of the 247 gr molds in stock.

Is your NOE mold aluminum? Also, do you have a temperature probe on your molds to monitor the temp?

Thanks again for the info.
My lee mold was one of the first ones and my understanding is they fixed the problems of undersized. I would not be afraid to get another one. Even with the boat tail. A lot of guys are powder coating them and they are working well.

I like the NOE mold a lot but if i were to get another mold i would get one of the ones that dolomite designed. I think the 240e or the 225b. The accurate molds are more expensive. But they are nice looking.

Yes mine is aluminum and no i dont have the temp probe.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
300sub

Post by 300sub »

Thanks.

One other thing. On the Lee and NOE molds, are the lube grooves in the correct locations as to not expose lube into the powder charged case? I mean are the lube grooves far enough away from the bottom of the bullet to prevent them from being exposed below the neck after seating the bullet on the 300 Whisper or Blackout cartridge?
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

I have one of Dolomite's 240E molds if anyone wants to try it. It drops
and very nice bullet. It drops right at 235 grains using my 60% Lead,
40% Linotype mix. Send me a PM if your interested. I bought it from
Dolomite himself. Its a dual cavity.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

300sub wrote:Thanks.

One other thing. On the Lee and NOE molds, are the lube grooves in the correct locations as to not expose lube into the powder charged case? I mean are the lube grooves far enough away from the bottom of the bullet to prevent them from being exposed below the neck after seating the bullet on the 300 Whisper or Blackout cartridge?
No they are not. The lube grooves are exposed to the powder. For the lee tumble groove if lubed with their alox i doubt it is an issue. As for the NOE if a conventional lube is used it will be exposed. That could be a problem in warmer climate. That is why dolomite designed the 240e. However if you powder coat it is moot anyways.
300sub

Post by 300sub »

OK, I'm not off the ground yet with casting bullets so the powder coating thing will be some time in the future. It all sounds interesting and somewhat simple though. I would definitely start out with the tumble lube as it seems fairly easy. I've seen a few youtube videos on the pour-in-a-pan technique but that seems to be a lot of tinkering around though. Not familiar enough with the lubrisizer to know if that is effective and don't have the equipment anyway. All food for thought though.