ACCURATE #311180W (300BLK profile)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: ACCURATE #311180W (300BLK profile)

Post by gds »

Dolomite.

Since a lot of us are converting over to powder coating, do you think that the lube grooves ending up below the neck are any more of a concern.

I mean for me it is a moot point because I already have a 5 cavity NOE that has worked very well. Of course I really think i want your 225 design I like the steeper ogive. but alas that will have to be a much further in the future purchase
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Exposed lube grooves were more of a problem before powder coating. With standard lube grooves you could potentially run into problems if your ammo sat in a hot car or ammo can. This could melt the bullet lube and contaminate your powder. That was the driving force in creating the bullet I did last year.
Here is a case cut out to show how far into the case my bullets could go without exposing the lube groove.
Those are loaded to ~2.10".

Something else I noticed recently before I started coating was certain powders would melt the lead of certain bullets and deposit it inside the case necks. This was with bullets that had the lube grooves exposed even though the bullets were tumble lubed. I think what was happening was the gasses were concentrating in the lube groove and applying more heat and pressure.

But since I have started powder coating I have not seen the same thing happen. I have not seen any lead or any powder coating deposited inside the case necks.

I think with powder coating having the lube grooves below the neck are less of a concern.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

boost wrote:I had the rear cut off Dolomite's 225B design. I'm still load testing and so far these feeds very smooth. The design is also perfect for powder coating. The meplat is kinda big but doesn't affect feeding because of the OAL. Would be perfect for hollow pointing.

Dude, that's just cool. Trying to picture that with a big deep hollow point, for a supersonic load, maybe at ~150gr.

Which powder are you using for coating? I haven't tried black yet, but should get some.