New to casting- problems but I think I have the solution

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to casting- problems but I think I have the solution

Post by Netpackrat »

I have used a Lee 1 oz slug mold quite a bit. With WW alloy you will get a better fill and better looking slugs in general, but it is harder on the mold. The center "core" that forms the hollow base and drive key is only pressed into the stamped steel that holds it with the end peened over. Eventually that will get loose and pull out, but if you are careful you can re-insert and peen the nub back over again. I have had to do this several times with my mold. I bought a second mold that I have not used yet, for when there isn't enough aluminum left to peen over and hold the core.

Pure lead is easier on the mold and it will usually release the slug easier, but it doesn't fill the mold as well, and it is more difficult to get cosmetically perfect slugs. But as you have already observed, that's not terribly important and there's no reason you can't use most of the imperfect ones. The pure lead being softer, will also be better if you are shooting through a choked bore. Most of my slugs and buckshot are intended for use in a 14" Saiga 12 SBS, cylinder bore lead hose, so no worries there other than as mentioned, I would rather save the good alloy for pistol bullets.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I don't know about 1 oz moulds. Mine is a 7/8 oz mould the slugs from which are intended to go inside a wad. The center is screwed onto the support and not peened. The slug drops off without any problems. Maybe they changed the mould design? IDK. I'm new to all of this and have nothing to compare it to.

As far as lead goes I have what I have. Approx' 1500# of wheelweights that I bought over a decade ago. As I already wrote I won't live long enough to use all of it as bullets or anything else (I'd like to think I'll still be shooting in 20 years). I doubt that the few pounds that I'll use for slugs (500 of them is under 30#) will make much of a dent in it. The only reason I got into this at all is because when I went to buy slugs they were so darn expensive, and #4 buckshot was unavailable. But as it turns out I'm glad I did learn the craft. I might start to make 9mm bullets of which I use a lot of.

Edit: Oh, yes, my bore is cyl' bore. Maybe on the minimum side because the accuracy seems pretty good. I make a change in the sight and the impact reflects the change, at least with factory slugs.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

BJK wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 am I don't know about 1 oz moulds. Mine is a 7/8 oz mould the slugs from which are intended to go inside a wad. The center is screwed onto the support and not peened. The slug drops off without any problems. Maybe they changed the mould design? IDK. I'm new to all of this and have nothing to compare it to.
Using threads or a fastener there would definitely be a design improvement.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

I didn't see if you mentioned what press you will be using, but if interested, here is a review I wrote up of the MEC Sizemaster I recently purchased:

http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/view ... 40&t=29373