If powder coating, still need bullet lube?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

dieselherb

If powder coating, still need bullet lube?

Post by dieselherb »

I new to casting. I've seen a lot of different casting videos on U tube. The more I watch the more confusing it gets. I want to cast Lee 230 and 113
Thanks
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: If powder coating, still need bullet lube?

Post by popper »

Nope.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Nope. I have a couple of videos on YouTube about what I suggest. I know you've heard too many voices. let me just state that most people are adding a lot of extra steps that actually make things worse. Extra steps are extra variables to get wrong and wasted time. Simpler actually is better. Start with a quality powder that is known to work and don't touch the harbor freight stuff. life will just be easier for you and the cost for bullet is so small as to be hard to measure.
Virtman

Post by Virtman »

Don't need to lube after powder coating. Buy a quality high gloss (95% gloss) powder for best results. I cast and powder coat the Lee 230gr 308 bullet and many others. They look great and perform great as well. Dump the bullet in water when they come out of the powder coat oven to temper them and make them a little harder. I often add a gas check afterwards and run them at same or similar velocities as jacketed bullets with great accuracy Start at reduced load and work up watching group size. Velocity of powder coated bullet usually higher at given powder load than jacketed bullet.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I have all but completely stopped with conventional lube and size. Since powder coating.

As said, NO it’s not needed but can be done. One of the advantages of PC is less smoke. Less smoke is at least partially because you don’t need to lube.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS