need help with cast lead loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Aztec607

need help with cast lead loads

Post by Aztec607 »

I have a lyman/ideal 311413 169 gr 30 cal mold but i havent found any good load data can any body help? i have a 16in ar with carbine gas tube and an ar pistol with 10.5 barrel. just want a plinking round and i have plans to buy a lee 230 gr mold.
xdmalder
Senior Silent Operator

Re: need help with cast lead loads

Post by xdmalder »

What powder do you have or want to use.
Aztec607

Post by Aztec607 »

i have H110, accurate 1680, imr 4227 and lil gun
xdmalder
Senior Silent Operator

Post by xdmalder »

What is your COAL that will hand cycle? I'll punch it in Quickload and figure something for you.
Aztec607

Post by Aztec607 »

im not sure how to find that out ive reloaded a couple thousand jacketed but not very much lead
Rooter pig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rooter pig »

You will have to cast and load some dummy rounds. Experiment with the size of the bullet and length
Of your dummy round... Until you get one to fit to your standards.
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

Aztec607 wrote:im not sure how to find that out ive reloaded a couple thousand jacketed but not very much lead

Jacketed or lead, makes no difference, setting your bullet ogive a few thousandths off the rifling is pretty much standard, your mileage may differ. And, you will need a bullet comparator in order to measure from base to ogive. Which, since you have loaded thousands of jacketed bullets, you probably already have one.

If you need to pick up a comparator, I would get the head space gauges as well. I have found, with the 300BLK, head space can be a nice spec to know when certain problems pop up.

As for load data, google is your friend. Most of the time all you need to do is type in your powder, or, the company that makes it with a query for load data and something usually pops up.

good luck
Last edited by threehundred on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

Keep it simple, just seat a bullet into a sized case that has the mouth belled/flaired to keep from shaving the bullet. Keep seating the bullet deeper until the bolt will easily close on the cartridge. Measure for your cartridge overall length. If you separate the lower from the upper, it will be much easier.
You may have to seat a little deeper to avoid crimping in a lube groove.

The Lee 230gr. mold may be cheap, but you may waste a lot of time and lead, powder, and primers getting it to shoot accurately (search for the many posts on this board about this bullet). The bullet has too little area in contact with the bore to reliably stabilize in the fast twist barrels the 300 Bk uses. Also the boat tail is useless. It diminishes the length of the bullet in contact with the bore.
After trying two of these molds, I bought a Noe 230 gr mold and it solved my problems.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use 16gr. 1680 under a 170gr. PB cast 31-172C (Like a RD for 30/30) in my 10" pistol (1500 fps?)with good results. About an inch @ 50, first try. Pretty stiff load for a pistol & I didn't turn the gas down. I intended to shoot them in the carbine but wanted to check the new pistol build out. I suspect I'll need to use Rx7 or 4227 if I want a lighter load. I have to use a lancer mag to get them to feed.