Powder coat vs lube

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powder coat vs lube

Post by plant.one »

if your lead melted at 400* i suspect that your temp controller in the oven failed and is stuck in the always on position.

lead doesnt melt at 350-400*.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I recently started casting bullets & powder coating them. easy as pie! I was told to use the Eastwood Ford Blue powder and it works good. I shake them around in a plastic container for about 5 min., dump them on a screen, shake off the excess powder and bake at 300 for 20 min. then I dump them in water. then I size the bullets. I did find that leaving the bullets in the powder too long before shaking them seems to give less coverage. my guess is that the static electricity evens out and doesn't make the powder stick as good. I also bell the case mouths so the bullet starts in very easily.
peace through superior firepower
Kdablackout

Post by Kdablackout »

The guys here are giving you good information. Start with good powder (Smoke's from CBA is good) and others that were listed. One issue I had was I wanted to test a very small batch before dumping hand fulls of my cased bullets in the powered. So I put about 3 bullets in the power and shook them in the #5 container for a long time and nothing happened. I will not tell you how many hours I wasted trying to figure out what was wrong. I put about 75-100 in the powder and shook them and they covered great. This was for my 9mm and I will be trying 300 blackout cast bullets before long.
imashooter2

Post by imashooter2 »

Powder coat is slow and messy and requires a whole new set of containers and racks on top of your existing set of containers and racks. PC does shoot cleaner than lubed lead, but I clean my guns after shooting anyway. So step up and make your choice. I chose the ease and convenience of continuing to use the equipment and processes I already had.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

If your process is slower than conventional lube, then you have definitely over complicated things.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

GunFunZS wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:10 am If your process is slower than conventional lube, then you have definitely over complicated things.
That's pretty much what I was going to write.

I use the wet method and nothing could be cleaner, easier, or faster. While one batch of bullets is doing it's thing in the toaster oven I'm getting the next batch ready and the previous batch is cooling off getting ready for their 2nd coat. I have plenty of time to relax in between and I set a timer so that I don't fall asleep, and mess? Non-existent. Any mess is in the containers I use for the dissolved coating and on the hardware cloth where they finish drying.

I'm a beginner and I started with Hi-Tek coating because of what I read about it on the Cast Boolit forum. No regrets and good bullets right from the start. I also calibrated the toaster oven to see where it needed to be set for the temp' I wanted.

edit: Might also look at contamination on the bullet that is preventing the coating from adhering. Other than a spotlessly clean storage container with a cover nothing touches my bullets until the acetone dissolved coating is agitated onto them. Then my clean hands handle them. Same goes for after the first coating... they aren't handled until the second coating is agitated onto them.