My PSA 308s

Moderators: gds, PalmettoStateArmory

ThreeHundredTraveler
Silent But Deadly

Re: My PSA 308s

Post by ThreeHundredTraveler »

I have an 18 inch barrel 308 and have not shot it in anything near an enclosed area like some gun ranges have with the roof over the shooting stations. Those are the worst noise amplifiers ever. The 308 has a closed muzzle device that forces the blast forward. Not an STD which I would really like.

The real blaster I shoot is my 45 Raptor on the 10 chassis. KABOOM

DRZ-400S
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DRZ-400S »

ThreeHundredTraveler wrote:
The real blaster I shoot is my 45 Raptor on the 10 chassis. KABOOM

Now that is sweet, can you use 308 cases to form the 45 Raptor?
One Good Shot Is All I Need.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

steven11b wrote:That is not bad, I have been thinking about a .308 AR build or maybe a ptr 91. But I am into precision rifles so toying with that idea also.
you can have both. just put a good match barrel and trigger on your ar308 and you should be able to get very respectable performance out of it. i had my 16" carbine shooting sub 3/4" groups. i was hopeing to get out over the weekend to try the new mega barrel, but i stepped into a hole in the lake that was knee deep and full of silt and jar'ed my back so no fun time for me yesterday :(
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
CPC24
Silent Operator

Post by CPC24 »

I caught a PSA .308 lower on sale, then a 16" upper on sale a month later. My total was half of what most .308 builds usually go for. It was my third or fourth PSA build, but the first I ever had trouble with. It wouldn't extract, so I sent the bolt back. Apparently, many of their extractor springs were too stiff.

It then extracted, but wouldn't chamber. I sent it back again, and got a letter from their head gunsmith apologizing. The chamber wasn't deep enough, so he reamed it. He even put another BCG in it.

Since then, I've had no problems. It works with DPMS pattern mags, even the cheap Pro-Mags. It shoots well with .308 and 7.62 NATO, and is pretty accurate. My best load right now is about 44 grains of 748 over a 150 grain FMJBT, FC brass.