A la carte lower parts?

Moderators: gds, PalmettoStateArmory

BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

A la carte lower parts?

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Have you guys been ordering complete LPKs? I figured i would save a few bucks a pick each individual part, since i usually get an aftermarket mag release, trigger, kns pins, and takedown pins...but i order from RRA, and it seems to take forever...there really isnt an LGS around me that sells small parts for ARs, so...
1) any other places to get pieces individually selected, or...
2) do most of you get LPKs complete, then just use the pieces you need?
Any suggestions on LPkKs to totally avoid or best bang-for-buck would be appreciated as well...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Re: A la carte lower parts?

Post by HotHolster »

I have never found that ordering parts separately was cheaper than ordering an LPK. If you just order say a spring and detent, the shipping cost is usually the same as it would be for the kit. There have been some sales recently for LPK's. Most of the time, I use DSG Arms, JoeBob Outfitter, Palmetto State Armory, Primary Arms, or Aim Surplus for parts. There are more online stores out there selling kits at decent prices, you just have to keep searching the internet and gun forums. Someone usually posts good deals on the forums.

Some places will sell pin kits, spring kits, field repair kits, etc. Those are nice to have on hand should you or a friend need a part right now, without having to wait a week and a half for shipping.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Midwayusa.com or Brownells.com will sell piddly little parts. I have bought detents, extractors, springs, etc. all from Midwayusa.com for those parts that are easy to lose or mess up. I bet they would have the other parts you are looking for :)
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Post by polizei1 »

Rainier has a JP LPK for $37, I think PSA has similar priced LPK's. That's hard to beat!
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Link? I cant find em that cheap on the rainier site...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
polizei1
Silent But Deadly

Post by polizei1 »

FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

Bushmaster sells individual parts: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_parts ... _parts.asp

Good kits and packages too: http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=501

Everything is good quality and competitively priced.
keith13b
Senior Silent Operator

Post by keith13b »

As others have said; Midwayusa, Brownells, Joe Bob's, etc. all sell individual parts. However, from my experience, that's not the best way to do it. PSA some time ago had a mad sale on LPK's w/ ergo grips (29$) as well a C.H.E.A.P. Magpul enhanced kits (39$). I loaded up on a few of each. I was able to sell the ergo grips - since I hate them - for $10-$12 on e-bay and now have an assortment of LPK's for under $20 delivered to my gun parts box. The Magpul kits came with MOE grips and winter hand guard's. Since I normally make those upgrades, I kept them, but you could easily sell those parts as well.

I recommend you do what I did. Wait until a good sale w/ free shipping, no tax, and buy a complete LPK. Now you have every extra part needed and won't have to spend $1-2 per detent that shot across the room along w/ $7 in shipping. If you need more than a detent and/ or spring and you can easily be spending $10-15 for just a few parts. I believe Spikes, and a few other places sell kits minus the fire control group and grip for those knowing they will be replacing the trigger and grip. Just a thought. And for the record, my cheap LPK from PSA had a smoother trigger than my Spikes. So don't let the low price fool you! Buy these parts before you NEED these parts. Just my .02 cents.

Also - you can quickly become someone's hero by having that extra part (which you don't need) that they lost during their build. They usually thank you with a beer the next time you go out; or you can be a douche and sell it to them. That adds to the lower cost of your LPK......