SUBSONIC AND SUPERSONIC

Moderators: gds, GunnAmmo

BLACKBEARTRACKS

SUBSONIC AND SUPERSONIC

Post by BLACKBEARTRACKS »

I'm new with my 300 so this may sound like old news to you guys but I've drawn a blank in my research.
If someone put a bullet on the table, how would I be able to determine if it is a subsonic or if it is a supersonic by it's looks?
It is easy to see the difference from the 300 blackout and the 5.56, but so far I don't see it between the two 300's

Steve
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: SUBSONIC AND SUPERSONIC

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the bullet itself as it is neither super nor subsonic.

Enough of my smart assness, I believe your intended question is really about the loaded cartridge and not the bullet alone. Even then you couldn't really draw any conclusions unless you knew how it was loaded. Factory ammo can normally be determined by what grain bullet they are using ie. 110-150ish grain bullets being mostly supersonic ammo and the the 190-240 grain bullets falling into the subsonic load catagory.

This can all be a wash if it is custom ammo as some guys have come up with subsonic loads using as light as 110gr bullets in single shot and bolt action guns. Also a round can be subsonic in one weapon and super in another. I hope this atleast makes it clear as mud for you!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

If it is sitting on a table it is most likely subsonic.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

^^ He has a very good point here.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

bangbangping wrote:If it is sitting on a table it is most likely subsonic.
Wish I could teach mine to sit. They like to roll all over the place
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....simple, you CAN'T

....regardless of the bullet shape showing, you have no idea which powder and what weight of that powder is being used inside the case. Even the obviously heavy 190+ grain bullets can be loaded to supersonic level....slow, but still above supersonic level.

....if they are not factory loads, VERIFIED FACTORY LOADS, I'd avoid them unless you have absolute faith and trust in the person that loaded them and/or offering them to you until you increase your personal knowledge on these matters.
BLACKBEARTRACKS

Post by BLACKBEARTRACKS »

Until you learn what is what, if they roll around the table hit them with a hammer
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

BLACKBEARTRACKS wrote:If someone put a bullet on the table, how would I be able to determine if it is a subsonic or if it is a supersonic

take it apart, weigh the projectile and the powder charge and make a educated guess.

for example:
if its a heavy projectile with around 10 grains (or less) of powder - you can probably assume its a subsonic
if its a light projectile with 15-20 grains of powder - you can probably assume its a supersonic round

however if you didnt reload them - or the person who did wasn't the one who handed it to you, an someone you very much trust as an accomplished reloader - the safe route would be to probably continue to pull the rest of them down and reload them with a known powder after some testing.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

BLACKBEARTRACKS wrote:Until you learn what is what, if they roll around the table hit them with a hammer
:shock: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BLACKBEARTRACKS wrote: If someone put a bullet on the table, how would I be able to determine if it is a subsonic or if it is a supersonic?

Steve
Have plant.one shoot it and listen carefully for the sonic crack :lol:

There is absolutely no way to tell, assembled or apart, unless you can identify the powder.

I have subsonic loads that have 125 grain bullets and 12 grains of powder, and supers that have 240 grain bullets and 10 grains. Grab a mag from my shooting bag and you will have no idea what you might be sending down range based on looks.

The only thing worth salvaging in an unidentified round is the brass and bullet. Even those can be questionable.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.