GUNN AMMO 300 Blackout SOST round 130 grain

Moderators: gds, GunnAmmo

GunnAmmo
Silent Operator

GUNN AMMO 300 Blackout SOST round 130 grain

Post by GunnAmmo »

ATK Special Operations “SOST” 5.56mm and 7.62mm Ammunition
Filed under: ammunition,Industry News — Tags: ammunition, Industry News —

The new SOST round from Federal Cartridge was engineered for the United States Marine Corps as a supplemental/replacement round to M855 green tip with more desirable terminal characteristics. NSN # 1305-01-573-2229, designated as the MK318 MOD-0, this round was designed as a “barrier blind” round and has superior penetration and better ballistic stability when shooting through glass, car doors, and other barriers where lesser rounds might be deflected. It was engineered after the Marine Corp identified barrier penetration issues with the M855 round. This new round utilizes a 62 grain open tip boat tail hollow point bullet with a lead core and reverse drawn copper jacket that creates an open tip.

From the press release from ATK:

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — Alliant Techsystems (ATK) announced today that it has received a $49 million contract from the U.S. Navy to produce a new special operations ammunition round with improved accuracy, stronger barrier penetration, and a lower muzzle-flash. ATK Security and Sporting developed the round in partnership with the Naval Surface Warfare Center – Crane Division under the Special Operations Science and Technology (SOST) ammunition program.

The SOST ammunition will be manufactured in 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm calibers, and is short-barrel optimized. It is designed for use with the MK16 and MK17 Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle Weapon System. Production will be performed at ATK’s Federal Premium Ammunition plant in Anoka, MN. Deliveries are expected to be completed in 2015.

“ATK is the clear leader in developing new ammunition technologies for commercial use,” said Ron Johnson, President of ATK’s Security and Sporting group. “We are now applying our research and development capability to satisfy the needs of our special operation forces.”

The new SOST 5.56mm and 7.62mm ammunition adds to ATK’s portfolio of specialized ammunition, including long-range products for both law enforcement and military applications.

ATK is an aerospace, defense, and commercial products company with operations in 24 states, Puerto Rico, and internationally, and revenues of approximately $4.8 billion. News and information can be found on the Internet at www.atk.com.
Gunn Ammo
agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Re: GUNN AMMO 300 Blackout SOST round 130 grain

Post by agBQ08 »

Couple questions if you don't mind.

Any gel testing of y'alls round loaded with the SOST bullet in 300 BLK?

Don't need an exact length if that's a secret but are your 300 BLK SOST rounds loaded to at least the 2.12" Robert recOmmends for the highest reliability?

Will these rounds become available more regularly as more 7.62x51 ammo with this bullet is produced?
GunnAmmo
Silent Operator

Post by GunnAmmo »

agBQ08 wrote:Couple questions if you don't mind.

Any gel testing of y'alls round loaded with the SOST bullet in 300 BLK?

Don't need an exact length if that's a secret but are your 300 BLK SOST rounds loaded to at least the 2.12" Robert recommends for the highest reliability?

Will these rounds become available more regularly as more 7.62x51 ammo with this bullet is produced?
Paper Tests are here no gel yet viewtopic.php?f=145&t=78584&p=735099&hilit=gunn#p735099

Yes they are loaded to 2.12 min

Yes they becoming more available readily.
Gunn Ammo
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Is the new higher velocity 130gr load you've been working on ready? I'm only getting about 1,700fps out of my 9.75" barrel and wouldn't mind seeing something that's closer to 2,000 from this barrel.
mdawson

Post by mdawson »

I will get in tough with Danny for you. There has been some further testing on that load in particular. I think results will be pleasing all the way around. I'm going to test a couple out on some live targets hopefully this coming week.
agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Post by agBQ08 »

Thanks for the info on this round! Hope some more of these bullets become available from DRMO at some point.
mdawson

Post by mdawson »

USBP379 wrote:Is the new higher velocity 130gr load you've been working on ready? I'm only getting about 1,700fps out of my 9.75" barrel and wouldn't mind seeing something that's closer to 2,000 from this barrel.
I'm not sure what happened to my previous reply, but here it is again. The new 130 SOST round is now currently in production. It will put you somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000fps in your 9" barrel. This load combo will be the next shipment out to distributors. I know we had to back it down a little in order not to have any issues.
Klondike

Post by Klondike »

Shot this round today. Most accurate of 4 super rounds shot today (also most recoil).

If this isn't a 2200-2300 FPS round I would be surprised.

Anything else planned? Get through Blakely a bit.
mdawson

Post by mdawson »

Glad you liked the round. There will be some new things coming out as they are tweaked and perfected.
Matt
Klondike

Post by Klondike »

Anything new by labor day? Running through Blakely then.