Finally got my M&P15 300 Whisper

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

truenorthcompass

Finally got my M&P15 300 Whisper

Post by truenorthcompass »

After a couple years of day dreaming and a year of that on Lay-a-way I'm finally the owner of a M&P15 300 Whisper with the camouflage finish. Its primary purpose and justification for purchase was deer hunting with home defense being a bonus. This is just my second AR15 ever with the first one being an M&P15-22 so I'm really excited.

I mounted a Nikon 300blk BDC scope and spent the afternoon at the range. Beautiful groups at 100 yards and the recoil is very manageable which is very important because my two daughters will be hunting with it too. I really liked that I was able to teach my girls using the 22 cal and it is set up exactly like the 300. So the transition will be nothing for them and the 22 keeps the training cost down.

The entire family made a trip to the range Saturday in final preparation for the deer season opener and everyone got time behind the 300. I do ok off of the bench but shooting free hand defiantly needs some work. At the end of the day my daughter still had one more round that she didn't want to shoot. My daughter said I could have it so I loaded it up right that at her table on the 50 yard range and proceeded to take aim free hand at a fresh target that was already down range. I pretended it was the ONE shot, inhaled deeply, and on the exhale I gently squeezed the trigger as I watched the cross hairs floating gently onto the 10 ring. BANG! OMG...Bulls Eye! My freehand skills need a lot of improving and I know this so luck was a HUGE part of that shot.

The entire family is going to get a lot of enjoyment out of this rifle for years to come and with my girls just getting started in deer hunting the journey has only just begun.

I do plan to reload for this one as soon as I can and I also hope to see more activity here in the Smith and Wesson group. So lets hear it people and make some noise here in this group. I know I cant be the only Smith and Wesson 300 Whisper owner out there!
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally got my M&P15 300 Whisper

Post by BlogSarge »

Hey Truenorth,

Glad you finally got an M&P 300. I've not seen a S&W M&P15 in 300 yet at my shop and we have one of the best, if not the best, AR selection in Michigan. We just got a few M&P10s, but no 300s.

Next, you need a suppressor! I want to sell my 308 Bushmaster and get a suppressor for my homebuilt BLK.

I'm looking forward to next Friday also. My BLK is dialed in and ready for deer opener.

Cheers!
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I have had one for about 1.5 years and never really had any issues . I dont shoot it suppressed alot any more simply because I have an 8.5 inch pistol that handles alot better with the suppresor on it . I zeroed it for 110 grain v-max and that is its main diet now. it is my walk around rifle nice light and easy to shoot.
Sofiabern

Post by Sofiabern »

I envy you I have wanted a 300 blackout ever since reading about them in one of my gun mags. They just sound like a extremely cool round special suppressed.

Last edited by Sofiabern on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeaneM1A
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DeaneM1A »

I have owned a camouflaged M&P15 for a couple of years. It has become my favorite firearm.

I have had one problem, the factory trigger broke on the 7th shot. I drove straight home and ordered a Wilson two-stage, drop-in replacement trigger. It was very easy to install. What an improvement! My groups really tightened up.
Redfishcatcher15

Post by Redfishcatcher15 »

I love my M&P15 300 Blackout/Whisper which is a very accurate rifle with the ammunition combo. I purchased my rifle from my local gun shop in melonite finish and few aftermarket accessories which include Magpul magazines, grip, foregrip, ambi safety lever, Strike Industries ejection port dust cover, UTG PRO free float rail with low profile gas block, Geissele G2S trigger with KNS precision trigger pins, BCM Mod 3 charging handle, Dave Tubbs flatwire bufferspring, Double Star ACE ARFX Skeleton Stock, and a Redfield Battlezone 3-9x42 scope mounted on a name scope mount. 8)

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wess ... t138332628
Enfoto

Finally got my M15 300 Whisper

Post by Enfoto »

Very nice. Comp might come up once everything is settled in again. What are your plans for her?