Quality control problem?

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

baw659

Quality control problem?

Post by baw659 »

I'll start by saying I have 9 Wilson Combat handguns that are all perfect.

I bought 3 complete Wilson Combat 5.56 rifles this year and one of them continually breaks the buffer/spring retaining pin and beats the crap out of the buffer. Several calls to Wilson and all I get is "That is normal" I'm calling BS on this one. It should only touch the pin with the upper opened. The hole in the lower must be off spec.

I also bought 3 complete 300 blk uppers and one 16" stainless barrel. I check the chamber dims on the stainless one because it was easier since it wasn't installed on an upper. I could load the Lapua 200gr subsonic bullet right at the cannelure and was good to go. If you are familiar with this bullet the ogive is pretty far forward so you have to be careful. To my surprise the bolt wouldn't lock up on 2 of the other uppers. OAL was to long so I checked all the chambers. Two of them are right at 1/16" shorter. The loads that are longer don't fit in the Sheridan gauge but the shorter ones do. Confused yet?

So is having up to 1/16 more free float a normal chamber? Do they let that much variance be common?

Not trying to bash them just trying to get this straightened out.

Brian
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quality control problem?

Post by smustian »

Waiting to see what their response is.
baw659

Post by baw659 »

Well I guess that question has been answered.
baw659

Post by baw659 »

Well I guess I'm jinxed! Bought my son a new Wilson 1911 in 9mm for Christmas.

The two extra mags would NOT latch into the pistol. Got on their website and under the mag specs the front of the base plate is supposed to be .750 from bottom to top. These two were .880.

Called Wilson. The rep says "Where did you get those?" They came with the weapon. "NO you must have bought them extra." No sir. "They do NOT fit that weapon." NO KIDDING! " "Send them back to us and we will send you the correct ones." Ok, so I pay $3860 for this pistol and you want me to pay to get the correct mags? "Well yes"?,?,? Umm NO!! HAVE A NICE DAY!!

I milled the extra metal off of the base plates to fit the mag well, refinished them and we went shooting.

My other son got a lower parts kit among other stuff and it had a .308 front take down pin!!

Does Bill Wilson actually know what is going on there anymore? I mean these used to be FINE weapons and I didn't mind paying for it but this is crap.

if it weren't for bad luck I guess.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Just another example of good a good company gone bad.

I don't think it was his intention but I have known of a bunch of companies that put out a great product long enough to get great reviews. After everyone is giving them glowing reviews their quality begins to deteriorate.

Wilson is one of those companies that people did not mind paying a lot for their products because they are great. Because people know that along with that exuberant price should comes an exuberant product but I guess that has changed.

It speaks volumes about quality control when a single person has several problems, over time, from the same company. What are the odds of the same person having issues from the same company? I mean I haven't had as many problems out of much cheaper products.

I can honestly say that Wilson, which I told myself I would one day own, is now off my wish list.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

When I worked at the gun store, we had a Wilson AR15 and the action got locked up where the hammer was in the fired position and the selector was on safe. Result, no way to clear the gun until you figured out that the safety needed to be off to pull back the BCG. The hammer could not be moved to the cocked position with the selector on safe. We tried the rest of the Wilsons in stock with the same results.

Calls to Wilson yielded the response that the trigger was working as designed.

That, and finding out that a $650 Springfield XPs would outshoot a Wilson 1911 (as well as outshooting a Nighthawk Custom 1911) pretty well sopured me on the Wlson products.

After that I would happily sell a Wilson AR to someone who wanted what I call a 'fun gun', one for having fun with your buddies, but would not sell one to someone who wanted a 'working gun'.