New wilson 300 SBR Tactical

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

rjk1224

New wilson 300 SBR Tactical

Post by rjk1224 »

I have a new wilson 300 SBR tactical and I took it to the range yesterday and I have some questions for the Pro's. I was using two types of ammo Fiocchi 150 grain, and Remington 220 grain subsonic ammo. I started out with the 220 remington and it was working just fine, and then it would not eject.

I switched to Ficchi for the rest of the range trip and it ran ok, but not great. I decided to pack up and give it a good clean at home. Upon cleaning the rifle I noticed the Bolt carrier Key has some damage out at the tip by the gas tube.

Could this be causing the failures on the subsonic ammo? I will take pictures tonight.
rjk1224

Re: New wilson 300 SBR Tactical

Post by rjk1224 »

rjk1224

Post by rjk1224 »

BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

How familiar are you with working on ARs? The reason i ask is i would check that the gas block/tube is installed and tightened...and not damaged, because it looks like the key hit the tube rather than sliding over it...if you just bought the rifle and dont feel like "surgery", i would take it back to where you bought it...they will do the tinkering and replace whatever needs to be corrected...my guess is that the tube wasnt in spec (maybe bent or unpinned maybe...not sure, never actually seen that in person)...my overall recommendation is to send it back and get it fixed properly...you MAY be able to find the prob, but it will still require some new components, like a new key (which needs to be staked), and you shouldnt be paying for it...

Just for the record, i am NOT a gunsmith or certified armorer, but made my guesses based on my experience building ARs...i could be totally wrong...someone here will probably point out the flaw in my pseudo-diagnosis, but the good thing is there are guys on here that are WAY smarter than myself...they will get you straightened out, so dont worry...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
rjk1224

Post by rjk1224 »

Typical Wilson, I sent in the 300 and they installed all new parts and sent it back as good as new. Thanks for great CS!!!
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Just out of curiosity, did they mention what caused that?
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
rjk1224

Post by rjk1224 »

no they did not, just replaced the gas tube and the upper bolt assembly
SkyLine1
Silent Operator

Post by SkyLine1 »

rjk1224 wrote:no they did not, just replaced the gas tube and the upper bolt assembly
Looks like the gas tube was off center, possibly because of the barrel nut not being torqued enough or under torqued to cause the gas tube to go into the upper receiver misaligned with the gas key on the BCG. Ask me how I know...been there done that on a build.