Headspacing

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

wusscvr

Headspacing

Post by wusscvr »

I am planning on ordering a barrel and BCG from Wilson this week for a new build. Will they need to be headspaced since they are both coming from the same manufacturer? Any chance Wilson can just do it before shipping? I would prefer to have them do it since I would need to purchase go/no go gauges and I hate the idea of buying something to only use it once.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Comb ... 00RC16-17/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Bolt-Carrie ... -BCA-SEMI/
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Headspacing

Post by golfindia »

I'm interested in the consensus on this question as well.

I have done it both ways; I have bought matched bolt barrel combos, and have mixed and matched. Never had a problem either way.

I accidentally was sent a left handed 6.8 bolt with a barrel once when I got a "matched" set. I sent it back and got a right handed one, but wondered how it could have actually been "matched" to my barrel..... It still fit fine.

Does someone actually go through a big carton of bolts "test fitting" them? Doubt it.....
WilsonCombatRep
Silent Operator

Post by WilsonCombatRep »

If you buy a barrel and bolt from Wilson it will work. We hold our tolerances and QC so closely that they are essentially matched.
Wilson Combat Customer Support
www.wilsoncombat.com
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Something I need to learn here? I just adjust my sizing die. Does WC make a 1:10 carbine bull barrel? Don't see anything but 1:7 on the site.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

popper wrote:Something I need to learn here? I just adjust my sizing die.
so what happens when you fire factory ammo then? :shock: a barrel/bolt should meet minimum go/nogo spec's or its a potential kaboom waiting to happen. "adjusting your sizing die" is putting a bandaid on something that needs stitches. suggesting that an out of spec chamber/bolt combo can be corrected by an adjustment of a resizing die is irresponsible and could potentially lead to someone getting seriously injured. Safety first!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
VinnAY
Silent But Deadly

Post by VinnAY »

Headspace really isn't relevant, at all, with a new barrel/extension/bolt. Only if replacing one or two of the THREE, would headspace be something to check.

And saying your tolerances are so tight they're essentially matched by default is a hogwash way of telling you to pound sand.