Problems with Wilson Combat 11.3" barrel

Moderators: gds, WilsonCombatRep

jtamulis

Problems with Wilson Combat 11.3" barrel

Post by jtamulis »

Hiya Gang. So I have my AR pistol finished, and I went to go test fire it, and ran into some problems. FACTORY 220 Grain Remington subsonic.

Mega Billet upper, mega billet lower, rock river national match two stage trigger, palmetto state armory mil-spec buffer, mil spec buffer spring (not H, not H2, etc.)
Troy low profile gas block. BARREL: 11.3" Wilson combat 1x8 twist stainless, no flash hider.

I tried a new Nickle boron M16 BCG (instructions say no lube, so I didn't have any on it) First fire it went bang, and the shell pulled out about halfway, did not eject, kinda stuck 1/2way.
Then tried again, same thing. I had a little ring for the gas tube to push it out as if it was using a front handguard mount behind the gas block. I measured to see if the hole was lining up, and it looked like it would work better if it was without, so I removed the ring.

Tried two more rounds, same problem.

I then thought maybe my BCG, being an M16 version is too heavy, and grabbed a chrome BCG I had. Fire the first round, it fire, and ejected, but did not lock back on an empty chamber.
Tried again, fired and ejected, but still no lockback on empty chamber.

I have kept 5 of the 6 shots (lost one f&4# piece of brass), and I have 14 bullets left. I just want to prove it works on factory ammo before I start reloading, but as of now, no joy. I expect I'll get a suppressor, and I'll very likely keep the can on 24/7, but I'm not sure if there is anything I should do, or of so, what.

Should I try to drill out the gas hole, I believe I'm using the lightest spring, and lightest buffer. Any help would be good.

I plan on using this with a suppressor eventually, and will use:
125 gran in supersonic. (I have about 100 bullets themselves for reloading)
147 grain M80 pulldowns that I will load to functional for plinking (I have about 200 of these)
and 208 Grain subsonic (I have about 500 hornady bullets) I'll use these as my quiet rounds.

Ideas? help?

Jeff
WilsonCombatRep
Silent Operator

Re: Problems with Wilson Combat 11.3" barrel

Post by WilsonCombatRep »

Usually to reliably shoot subs, unsuppressed you will need a well broken -and-well lubed bolt/carrier and possibly a light weight action spring.
Just use a standard carbine buffer. Might want to shoot some supersonic through it to break it in.

You will have more reliable function with a suppressor with subs. Thats for sure.
Wilson Combat Customer Support
www.wilsoncombat.com
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Post by darr3239 »

For a short barrel an H2 buffer is the norm, so that's not the problem since you are using a lighter one. I also doubt there is anything wrong with the barrel since it was made by Wilson Combat. Nor should the BCG be the culprit.

My guess is the problem lies somewhere in the gas system, block or tube. Disassemble and make sure anywhere the gas flows is not blocked somehow. Possibly the gas block is not properly aligned with the gas port on the barrel?
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
jtamulis

Post by jtamulis »

I would certainly say it's not yet completely broken in, as it has 6 shots through it. I'll make up some supersonics, and get some rounds through it and see if I can get it to cycle. I just was hoping to have a "this gun works with factory ammo" before I started the reloading, so I have a benchmark to compare to, but I guess I'll just work on a light load and work it up anyway, and then go see if the subs work again. 8-)

I'll post again when I get it running.

I'll also double check the gas tube area. I checked it twice before, but I know everything else is spot on, and I was pretty sure the gas tube was, but not 110% sure.

Thanks gang. I'll report back
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I doubt you have a gas system issue, just that heavy subs usually require a can for the backpressure to fully cycle the action.

Most barrel manufacturers clearly state this somewheres in their literature and or directions. I have heard a few guys that had issues with subs and they are restricted and cant have cans, so they tried the Noveske NX3 which is supposed to increase backpressure and it seems to help

I run my BCG wet with mobil1 even being NiB coated.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
jtamulis

Post by jtamulis »

ok, so I checked the gas tube, and there is a beautiful ring around the hole, so I did/do have it spot on. So I think it's just my running subs without a suppressor (or any muzzle device for that matter) that's causing the problems. Luckily I have almost everything needed to make my own, so I'll just start doing that as soon as I can afford the rest.

Could it be that I have a two stage national match RRA trigger that may be harder for the BCG to reset? hmm.... I may have to find another trigger in my parts bin.
jtamulis

Post by jtamulis »

After talking withe a few gunsmiths, and doing a lot of research online I found the following answer:

The gas hole on the barrel is too small to run subs, unsurpressed with an M16 BCG.

Most people drill the gas port out to apparently 0.12 (but some get by with 0.08 and 0.09), so please don't go up unless you need to and only in very small increments, etc.

This is just information, please use it wisely. I'm not actually going to drill out my barrel, I'm going to wait until my surpressor is here, and it'll be on all the time anyway 8-).

Jeff
jtamulis

Post by jtamulis »

So I have found 10 supersonic, and it didn't cycle the 1st 5. since I can reload them I'll try to find a published data and see what I can find.

So far I have had one shot cycle the gun correctly, but it didn't lock back on an empty mag.
xdiver1

Post by xdiver1 »

I have the same barrel,2.90 once buffer,reduced power recoil spring ,7.62sdn6 suppressor

and I'm having same issue's.

I have been using 208 gr. Projectiles and vvn110 powder.

I have used 8 grs, 8.2 8.4 ,8.6, 8.8, 8.8, 9-0 and 9.2gr's

at this point all I can think of is the gas port, Wilson says the gas port is.073.

gas port and gas block are aligned.

Any help is appreciated.

Xdiver1
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

xdiver1 wrote:I have the same barrel,2.90 once buffer,reduced power recoil spring ,7.62sdn6 suppressor

and I'm having same issue's.

I have been using 208 gr. Projectiles and vvn110 powder.

I have used 8 grs, 8.2 8.4 ,8.6, 8.8, 8.8, 9-0 and 9.2gr's

at this point all I can think of is the gas port, Wilson says the gas port is.073.

gas port and gas block are aligned.

Any help is appreciated.

Xdiver1
110 powder is a little too fast burning for the rifle to cycle correctly with heavy subs, try something in the A1680 range. You could get it to run with 110, but it would require drilling the gas port, running an adjustable gas block and maybe even playing around with a lightweight BCG/buffer system.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!