Failure to feed after I put on a Magpul stock buffer and spring.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Canman2004

Failure to feed after I put on a Magpul stock buffer and spring.

Post by Canman2004 »

I bought a Mk109 300 Blackout with a Sig brace for my son this Christmas. I got my tax stamp so I put on the adjustable Magpul stock. I have tried the PWS buffer and spring in the Magpul buffer and it still didn't work. Going to try the Magpul buffer spring with the PWS buffer tomorrow see if that does the trick. Any other ideas?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Failure to feed after I put on a Magpul stock buffer and spring.

Post by smustian »

With a new rifle, make sure the BCG is "wet" meaning more than usual with lube. Allow things to break in. You could hand cycle the bcg 100 times to help wear parts in before your range trip.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

^ this...plus i would do a THOROUGH cleaning...get the old lube that gets a bit sticky all outta there, use lotsa lube on the carrier, manually charge it 100x, then relube and take her out to shoot...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
anotherkelley
Silent But Deadly

Post by anotherkelley »

So it cycles fine with the original PWS tube, spring, & buffer?.... but with the PWS buffer & spring installed in a different tube it fails to cycle?

When you retract that BCG manually (in the new tube, NOT the PWS tube), can you feel the rubber part of the buffer actually bottom out in the back of the tube - softly? - or do you get an abrupt metal-to-metal stoppage?

The only thing I can come up with out of the ordinary that might be giving you trouble could have something to do with the little plug that PWS places in their buffer tubes at the base - where the buffer itself makes contact at the back of the tube. It's a 'buffer' for the buffer you might say - looks like this.

If I try to take my MK109 upper and run it on a lower that doesn't have one of these 'buffer plugs' installed at the base of the tube - upon manually cycling the buffer itself doesn't even make it to the back of the buffer tube before the gas key of the carrier is making contact with the lower at the receiver extension threads.

right here....

I never have fired my upper without one of these rubber stoppers in the tube, so I can't exactly confirm for certain that this the culprit - but I really can't see how you'd get a very good cycle out of that BCG if the back of the gas key was striking the receiver at your extension threads instead of the buffer itself bottoming out in the tube :shock:
Just a possiblity.
Canman2004

Post by Canman2004 »

I only fired two rounds out of it before I put the new stock, buffer and buffer tube on. Worked fine on those two. It fails to cycle with both the the PWS and the Magpul stuff. I'm gona try the new spring with the PWS buffer and the PWS spring with the Magpul buffer.
Thanks for the replys! I will give all suggestions a try this afternoon and let y'all know.
Canman2004

Post by Canman2004 »

Ok I got it to cycle with the Magpul spring and the PWS buffer. Still would not lock the bolt back though. Only fired one kind of ammo. Hopefully get some range time so I can try different kinds of ammo.
Canman2004

Post by Canman2004 »

Ok got some range time. This rifle is just like its was from the factory execpt. It has a Magpul buffer and Magpul buffer spring.
We shot five different types of ammo.
Remington 120gn OTFB
FTF would fire and eject but would not pick up the next round from the mag.
Remington 220gn OT FB
FTE the fired round did not eject.
The next three are reloads
Horandy 150gn sp interlock 16.5gn H110 CCI small rifle primer
FTF Ejected fired round buy failed to pick up next one from mag
Sierra 125gn spire 18.5gn H110 CCI small rifle primer
Worked great but would not lock bolt back (there is a chance I wrote the wrong powder charge going to pull one to see)
Horandy 125gn SST 18.2gn H110. CCI small rifle primer
No problems at all with this load.
Canman2004

Post by Canman2004 »

Problem solved. I contacted PWS and they sent a prepaid label. Put a larger gas port on and she runs fine now. Still won't run the 220gn Remington's I think its a mag issue. I have two mags on the way with followers made just for blackout. I bet it solves that.
I have to give a shout out to PWS! After I put a different stock, buffer and spring they took it back and fixed it. I highly recommend them and WILL be buying there products in the future.
Thanks for the replys!
And a big THANK YOU to PWS!
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Built a new pistol lower the other day and got a pistol buffer spring and a regular carbine spring swapped around and it would not chamber a round. Immediately knew what the problem was,could just tell by the force when the bolt was released. Wouldn't have thought there was a difference but the pistol spring was quite a bit longer,2 inches or so.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I'm lost, what's a Magpul buffer and spring?
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.