PWS MK109 / SD N6

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

houlador

PWS MK109 / SD N6

Post by houlador »

Hi. I have almost made up my mind to get this set up but have a few questions that I could not find an answer to. Because of the piston, will this cycle subs and supers reliably? Will this be louder with the piston than with gas impengement? Thanks, Troy.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Re: PWS MK109 / SD N6

Post by nolwark76 »

I'm going to make your choice harder, sorry. I bought a PWS stripped lower to put on a form 1 and then get a PWS 9" upper. I did my homework, made pro and con lists...I went with an AAC upper. Here's why. Another company, LWRC is at the top of the piston game. No they aren't the supreme piston commanders but anyway. They only make piston rifles...except thier new 300 BLK. It's DI. If they felt it worked better as a DI gun, I'm inclined to think that's a good sign DI is the way to go. If you are looking for a cleaner system with the piston system then piston is the way to go. However if you want to suppress it as you said you are going to do, the can will cause gas to still foul the chamber. The piston rifle with a can is barely noticeably cleaner than a DI gun. Also, every gunsmith can work on a DI upper. Each piston system is unique. I got to use AAC customer service, no issue the function of my upper, just needed help switching suppressor mounts as I don't have an AAC can. I've got an SAS Ti can. I highly recomend it. To sum up, my vote is for an AAC upper. AAC has awesome cans, thier mounts are the best. However I also highly recommend the SAS Ti can as its half the weight and less expensive. I have the arbiter and can shoot 20 rounds through my 18" .308 AR fairly fast and my ears are fine. The 9" upper and my arbiter is almost Hollywood quiet with subsonics.
houlador

Post by houlador »

nolwark 76 thanks so much for your reply!
Trip5896

Post by Trip5896 »

My MK109 cycles subs and supers suppressed no problem. It also cycles supers unsuppressed just fine, but obviously doesn't have enough pressure to cycle subs without a can.

LWRC and PWS have very different piston setups. The PWS is a simple one piece op rod with a free floating piston head attached to the bolt carrier. Very much like the AK long stroke piston which inspired it. The LWRC is a short stroke piston system with more parts which could break and are only accessible if the hand guard is removed. I own an LWRC 6.8 PSD and REPR, so this is hands on knowledge. You wouldn't need a gunsmith to work on the PWS in most cases if you ask me. The LWRC on the other hand...

As for being louder, I don't have a DI 300 BLK with which to compare the two side by side. RSilvers says most pistons are louder but check out the video and ask yourself honestly how much quieter does it need to be. Also, keep in mind I was shooting under a metal roof which reflects the sound somewhat and probably made it slightly louder than it would be out in the open.

Here's the video my buddy put together after my first outing with my MK109...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0hziqIW18
houlador

Post by houlador »

Thanks Trip. Your first few sentences hit the nail on the head! The video was exactly what I was looking for. I looked all over and couldn't one like that. Troy